By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite "Cult Classic" JRPGS

The Ogre Battle series and the Mother (Earthbound) series. All other answers I find wanting.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

Wow. Seeing where the answers fall in this thread, can I consider Pokemon a cult classic RPG too, or would that be the singular RPG series that isn't cult classic?

No, you cannot.  That is the biggest and best known RPG series.  You also shouldn't consider FF, DQ games, the Mario JRPGS or Chrono Trigger cult classics because with very little except, they had fantastic sales.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:
Onyxmeth said:

Wow. Seeing where the answers fall in this thread, can I consider Pokemon a cult classic RPG too, or would that be the singular RPG series that isn't cult classic?

No, you cannot.  That is the biggest and best known RPG series.  You also shouldn't consider FF, DQ games, the Mario JRPGS or Chrono Trigger cult classics because with very little except, they had fantastic sales.

In my case, i can mention Dragon Quest III, since here it was known as Dragon Warrior III and it had bad sales, the first DQ game to have great sales in the West was DQ8...

Another cult classic of mine are Dark Cloud 2 and Parasite Eve...

Earthbound
Suikoden and
Breath of Fire (Does this count?)

I am a Breakout Bat.
I am an abstract sort of creature, who dislikes any sort of restraint. If you try to pigeonhole me, I'll break the box, and come back for more. I don't have any particular ambitions, I just drift, but I am adept at keeping life going along.

What Video Game Character Are You?

Proud Member of the Mega Mario Movement Yummy Yoshi Yankees

At least a couple of the above posters know what "cult classic" is.

I'll go with Magic Knight Rayearth for the Saturn.