By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Another PS3 price cut possible?

Not sure if this was posted yet but I just read that there could be potential price cut again for PS3.  If true, I'm gonna jump on a $399 80gig with motorstorm :)

http://gamesnews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Games/virginGamesNewsDetail/0,13470,2714640_technology,00.html

Sony sale hints at PS3 price cut?

Reports of Sony Corp. intentions to sell approximately $2.9 billion of shares in the company's insurance division, Sony Financial Holdings Inc., have become apparent, amidst increased speculation that the capital will be poured into the flagging PlayStation3.

Believed to be the largest initial public offering in Japan this year, the move comes after a turbulent recent time for world stock markets and could lead to a PlayStation3 price reduction to re-ignite interest in the third-placed format.

Speaking to Bloomberg, Mitsuhiro Osawa, a Tokyo-based analyst at Mizuho Investors Securities Co, claimed, "Sony could use the funds for various options to strengthen its electronics and game businesses," before concluding, "A cut in the price of the PlayStation 3 is one option."

Whilst a serious PS3 price reduction would undoubtedly help the console's position, it's unlikely Sony would jump into the action, and they would have to tread carefully to avoid upsetting the four million PS3 owners.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Around the Network

Euro and Japan sure, not North America.

Well, they probably mean the $499 80gig with motorstorm (after 60gig runs out) as the price cut for N.A.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Not for a while in NA, but they may reduce the starter pack to £400 here in the UK, that would certainly help them a little...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I think that they need to get rid of the rest of the 60g models in NA so that the 80g model will be all that sony has to worry about. Keep in mind that Sony is about to come out with that Digital Recording stuff like the Tivo as well as their downloading service so it would be nice to have more memory in actual *use*

Around the Network
Delusional said:
Well, they probably mean the $499 80gig with motorstorm (after 60gig runs out) as the price cut for N.A.

This might be what they do for a while. Sony wants to price cut badly, they just can't afford to do it. Anyone who suggests they could afford to do it is dillusional -- look at what they just did to support their entertainment division.

When costs come down for the PS3 enough, there will be more price cuts. But for the now, Sony cannot afford it.

Keep in mind that Sony is about to come out with that Digital Recording stuff like the Tivo as well as their downloading service so it would be nice to have more memory in actual *use*

80GB would be almost useless as an HD DVR.  I have about 750 GB in my HD DVR right now and I'd still like a lot more. 

well, that's why they were talking about the $2.9billion. They mention price cut option because they 'could' use the $2.9 billion to subsidize the losses incurred by the gaming division. Not saying they will, but we'll just have to wait and see how they wanna use up that money.

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

I don't think shareholders would be too happy dumping another $3 billion into a potential black hole.

Oh I finally found the PS3 price cut thread (PS3 price cut at TGS). Mods, I think we can lock this one. Funny how when I did forum search for "PS3 price cut", that didnt' show up.  (it's very difficult for me to go around this site recently cuz every page i click, my mcafee keeps popping blocking messages of script.exe trojan virus).

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

FishyJoe said:
I don't think shareholders would be too happy dumping another $3 billion into a potential black hole.

But i'd be happy to get a 300 some dollar PS3. :)

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW