By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cursed Mountain: Impressions of you can't beat them with a pick axe

You need buddhism!!!

Three levels were shown off in the demo version on-hand. The first was a camp setting, much like you'd see at the base of a mountain expedition. This was the most combat-intensive section of the demo, with our hero (who's name is Eric) battling it out against spirits with what appeared to be a pick axe. Now, in all our years of fighting evil spirits, we've never once managed to kill one with a pick axe--and this is not for want of trying--but we'll roll with it. It's not the only way to dispel the baddies, anyway. You'll also have a projectile weapons that Eric will find during his adventures--they're not guns exactly, but they can fire spirit-stunning projectiles.

The best way to kill these ghosts is to dispel them with a series of Buddhist gestures that you'll pick up as you go. Once a ghost is stunned, you target the ghost with the Wii Remote and then hit the A button; symbols will temporarily appear on the ghost's body. Do enough damage, and the symbols will appear more prominently on screen; each symbol indicates a gesture to perform with your Wii Remote and Nunchuk--typically just moving both in one direction or the next. Perform the gestures correctly in order and you'll dispel the ghost.

The second mission came from early in the game's narrative, as Eric has woken up after falling into an icy crevasse. After getting to his feet, you must guide Eric to safety, at one point even out-running an avalanche by quickly moving the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls back and forth. Eventually, you'll come across your handy pick axe which you can use to climb out of the crevasse. Eventually Eric comes to an open cave where he fights more spirits (and picks up incense sticks he can use to heal himself) and solving a symbol-based puzzle to escape the cave.

The final level shown in the demo featured Eric exploring a mostly abandoned village. At the start of the level, Eric is trekking uphill in the dark--so dark in fact, that it was a bit hard to make out some of the detail in the game. In fact, while the game's drab color scheme is a function of the mountainous setting, that look can obscure the action at times. It's perfectly fine to set a dark atmosphere--this is a horror game, after all--but it shouldn't come at the expense of knowing what's happening on the screen. That said, it seems like it will tough to get lost on Cursed Mountain; as producers explained to us, your goal is to reach the summit of the Sacred One at the top of the mountain and, as long as you're heading uphill, you're typically heading in the right direction. This level featured more buildings to explore and a bit less combat than in the prior cave level.

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6206686/

They said about a solid 20 hours gameplay, now if somebody can do a game about exorcisms......

Around the Network

I'm excited for this game. I really want it to turn out well.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This is probably one of the games I'm most excited about which is coming for the Wii. Sounds like a really good concept.. hope they don't louse it up.

Wii needs its eternal darkness.

With so many horror franchises losing their horror roots (RE, SH) I think a new entry will be much appreciated by old school fans. I just hope the puzzles are good.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network

Sounds promising.

Can't wait to hear some assine critic say 'I just waved my arms like an crazed monkey to kill ghosts'. Some are such wiimote haters.