By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameRankings - Metroid up, Bioshock down...

Firstly - I don't want this thread to descend into a flame war about which game is better. Both are excellent, for different consoles, and different genres.

I have been following the position of both titles on GameRankings quite closely. For those not familiar with gamerankings (.com), it shows a selective average of the reviews that a game gets. I believe it to be better than Metacritic, as it is more selective in terms of what reviews are allowed (so SDF here!).

http://gamerankings.com/ 

This is what I have seen:

Early scores:

- Bioshock: 96.5%-97.0% (ranked#2)
- Metroid: 90.0% 

(diff - 6.5%)

Recent scores:

- Bioshock: 96.2% (ranked #4)
 - Metroid: 92.0%

(diff 4.2%)

Todays score:

- Bioshock: 95.8% (ranked #6)
 - Metroid: 92.2%

(diff 3.6%)

Metroid will not overtake Bioshock - but I think it will end up quite close. I also believe that Bioshock was (initially) marked 'enthusiastically' - whereas Metroid was marked 'a little critically'.

You can see the total review list for each game here:

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/928517.asp (Metroid)

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/931329.asp (Bioshock)

A couple of random comments as well:

- EDGE gave Bioshock an 8! I can barely believe it (very harsh), but then it IS EDGE.

- Of the 4 '80s' scores received by Metroid, 3 of them were "early" scores (GameSpot, GamePro, Yahoo).  

- the median score for Metroid is around the 9.5 mark (IGN score), the median score for Bioshock is around the 9.7 mark (also the IGN score). I think these scores are a good representative of each game.

Anyway - I'm doing this primarily out of curiousity. Will probably update this every week or so, until the final scores settle. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Hmmm curious what the end result will be.

I guess Bioshock will be the best but then with a slighty difference.

Both are great games no doubt, both should be on the list, or least be close

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

BUY THEM BOTH!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

After initial reports having Bioshock so high and MP3 so relatively low, I figured that over time they would equalize themselves somewhat with Bioshock maintaining a slight lead in overall rankings.

Not that it really matters, they're both great games.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
stof said:
BUY THEM BOTH!
quote of the month right there, like to see that your keeping track. What i want to know is where are the mp3 sale numbers? 

On a side note, Bioshock(PC) has entered the all-time charts at #8, pushing off Half-life 2 from the top 10.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

Bioshock gets a better score strictly because it is a new game all together, take MP1 for example compared to Bioshock.

ArtofAngels said:
Bioshock gets a better score strictly because it is a new game all together, take MP1 for example compared to Bioshock.

Very good point, and a good reason why Metroid#1 will be in the top 10 - but MP3 won't.

You sort of wonder how "fair" that is - a sequel could be a lot better (improvements), yet still be marked harsher.

Now if only MP1/MP2 got remade for the Wii...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Differences aside, I would place these two gems in the exactly same category. First person games with a heavy emphasis on shooting, but also adventuring and exploring. Less mindless action than in shooters generally, but many cool powerups that do more than just give you a bigger gun. That's First Person Adventure to me.

Correct me if I'm totally wrong here. I haven't played Bioshock yet, although I'm definitely getting it eventually, but that's how it seems to me.