By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Wii doesn't sell quality games" - Any examples to back this up?

It is true that it doesn't have many quality games to sell. The fewest games with Metacritic scores in the 9 range of any of the three consoles.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

About whether or not there is a glut of shovelware on the Wii that effects the sales of some of the more recent core games, Nick Des Barres has this to say in an article in the latest issue of Play Magazine called "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: Trends in 2009:

"Shovelware Rampant"
"Here's some fat to chew on: At least 157 Wii games were released during the holiday season in North America. Think about that for a moment. Let it settle in. One hundred and fifty-seven Wii games. Such complete supply channel saturation probably hasn't been seen since the glut of trash that brought about the fall of Atari. What is a retailer to do when "Hotel for Dogs" and "Paws and Claws Pet Resort" release on the same day? "My Fitness Coach" and "Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009"? What about blatant Guitar Hero and Rockband copycats like "Popstar Guitar" and "Ultimate Band"? How many "Imagine" and "Petz" games can the market really support?

"I won't be as alarmist as to suggest a second video game crash might be looming, but you can be damn sure "games" like these are going to jostle for shelf space with -- and possibly muscle out -- truly worthy niche titles like Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King's Story, and Arc Rise Phantasia. And man oh man, don't get me started on the metric ton of offal that hits the Japanese DS every single week . . ."

From Play Magazine April 2009 Kingdom Under Fire II issue. Play Magazine volume eight: issue four. Nick Des Barres writing in the article: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: Trends in Gaming in 2009. pg. 24

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Here we are the Hardcore Quality Games lanched for Wii considering all parts of the World:

428, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Arc Rise Fantasia, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, Bleach: Versus Crusade, Broken Sword Shadow of the Templar (Director's Cut), Call of Duty: World at War, The Conduit, Cursed Mountain, Dead Space Extraction, Deadly Creatures, Dirt 2, Disaster Day of Crisis, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Version with 2 new worlds), Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (the controls are for hardcore), Dragon Quest X, Endless Ocean, Excite Truck, Far Cry Vengenance, Fatal Frame IV, The Crystal Bearers, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Forever Blue 2: Beautiful Ocean, Fragile, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, The House of the Dead: Overkill (Bundled with the Magnum Controller), Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (Famitsu got 36/40), Mad World, Manhunt 2, Mario Super Sluggers, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Monster Hunter 3(tri-), Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Naruto: Clash of a Ninja Revolution 2, No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, Unlimited Cruise, Unlimited Cruise 2, Overlord: Dark Legend, Pikmin 3, Punch-Out!! Wii, Ready 2 Rumble Revolution, Redsteel 1 e 2, Darkside Chronicles, Rune Factory Frontier, Samurai Warriors 3, Shawn White Snowboarding, Sin & Punishment 2, SSX Blur, Super Paper Mario, Brawl, ToS: Dawn of the new World, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Tenchu: Shadow Assassin, Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Special Wii version), Trace Memory R: Gateway of Memory, Wario Land: Shake It! and We Ski & Snowboard.

Is that enough?

I think of course.

a lot of those games are not really "quality" games though =/

And a lot of those games also failed to sell in any significant numbers on a console where games with the word Wii slapped on them (and in some cases that being the only reason) have sold in the millions.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
It is true that it doesn't have many quality games to sell. The fewest games with Metacritic scores in the 9 range of any of the three consoles.

Do you realise that Metacritic is not a measure of quality?

But lets spin it a bit (for jokes) Wii has 6 90+ games exclusive to it among consoles of this generation (yes this includes ports, because you cant play Okami, Resident Evil or Twilight princess on your 360) and PS3 has only 3.

Thats a great example of metacriti cherry picking.

Lolcislaw said:
BTFeather55 said:

Do you realise that Metacritic is not a measure of quality?

But lets spin it a bit (for jokes) Wii has 6 90+ games exclusive to it among consoles of this generation (yes this includes ports, because you cant play Okami, Resident Evil or Twilight princess on your 360) and PS3 has only 3.

Thats a great example of metacriti cherry picking.

Actually, the 360 has 21.  The PS3 has 11.  And the Wii has 8.  Just because most multiplats on the Wii don't measure up to the quality of the 360 and PS3 versions of the games isn't some reason to go around denying the existance of the PS3 versions.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

So i say a few surely quality games (that the quality is relative, for everyone, i had wrote the games that are minum 30/40 for famitsu and that quality):

1) Brawl
2) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
3) MKWii
4) Mario Galaxy
5) Disaster
6) Boom Blox
7) Umbrella Chronicles

And this are only a few game of QUALITY for Famitsu, and are only the games already launched.

Third parties only? because if isn't then this thread is incorrect.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.