By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What order will you show your kids the Star Wars movies?

Lets pretend that we all have children and pretend that they've reached the age you can start showing them Star Wars.  What order do you show them in?

The AVGN recently did a review of the Star Wars movies and in his 2nd part he asks what order would you show these movies to your kids.

Do you start with episode IV as you more than likely did so that Vader is a badass villain and you get one of the best movie twists ever or do you start with episode I and make Vader the tragic character?

It really is a good question I think and one I don't think I have the answer to yet.  If I had to give an answer right this moment I would probably say episodes IV-V and then I-III but the idea of watching them I-VI for the first time is interesting.

-edit-

Might as well embed the videos

Around the Network

show episodes 4 - 6 but lie to them and tell them that that's 1-3 and that the prequels never existed

I would say that by coming out first, IV-VI were intended to be viewed before I-III.

So that's your answer.

I will do everything I can to not show them the Star Wars movies. If I do, I will belittle Star Wars fans and George Lucas throughout the picture.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I agree with Akuma 100%. I will be the last star wars fan of my family line.

If I can avoid showing it to my kids, I will. If I was forced to show it to them I would first show them footage of star wars nerds who wasted their entire life eating from George Lucas' table scraps.

Around the Network

In all seriousness, Ep. 4-6, with particular emphasis on the fact that Episode 5 is the best.  I will probably just hide from them the fact that the prequels exist.

Sorry, just had to post these.  Too funny to pass up.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm serious too. Watching and following starwars and playing starwars games is pretty much a giant time trap and I really have nothing to show for it. I pretty much gave up on following starwars following episode 3 and do not read any of the books, or watch any of the Clone Wars episodes that's on TV now.

I will not subject my kids (if I ever have any) to the same obsession.

The original trilogy. I don't have the new trilogy on dvd so I wont be able to show them!

If I ever show them (I'm not a massive star wars fan) In this order:

Why not save the best till last? (or at least to the second half).

I'll go IV-VI. Then, I'd whip out I-lll. And THEN, we watch I-VI. I'd explain," Part l was made OVER TWENTY YEARS after part IV and it all ties together flawlessly. Just awesome.