By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioshock; fourth best game ever?

This is my first post ever on this forums so please be nice to me :) Yesterday my cousin introduced me to the game Bioshock, and I spent some time playing it at his place. Firstly I must say that the ambience really appeal to me, I really love deco and the whole "anacronistic pre-war setting". I played it and I enjoyed it. I played until I met the first boss - the doctor - then I quit playing, because I had to go home. The thing is, two hours later, I didn't matter anymore, the fact that I played Bioshock until the first boss and then left, that is. Other games like Ocarina of time, Wind Waker, Final Fantasy VI or even the first Half Life were games that in one way or another seduced my brain and were able to "terminate and stay resident" to use an old DOS term. Bioshock didnt come close to give me a feeling like that. To me it was a very good shooter with a very nice setting, nothing more nothing less. Try to get me right here, Im not trolling or flaming and I honestly want to hear other peoples reflections on this. I dont feel that it is redefining the genre, not in any way, its "same same, not to different". Its not especially inventive, it feels like I've been there before so to say. So, what makes a majority of the reviewers class this game as the state of the art incarnation of games, jumping straight up to 4:th place on gamerankings. My question to you is, why is this game considered so "special" as a game?

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

Is fun. I would suggest reading the many many post about this game already on this forum. Everyone has their own opinion but so far the main one is that it is a fun game with a great story. You be surprise how many games are a pain to play or are just a 1 trick pony etc. I played many fps and this one has intrigued me the most and is the first one ever that I would actually play again after beating it. Bottomline is you can never ever satisfy everyone.

Search for a bioshock threads. The game is awesome.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

lol yep... and it meant half-life 2 got knocked off the top 10 list :O

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

and welcome... =)

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Around the Network

Bioshock's a really good game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It does have its fair share of problems but it's just a great genre defining game that you will regret not playing.

My quick review on the game here.

I feel as though its a little over-rated personally, it's a great game but doesn't deserve 4th place on that list...

Though I haven't had a game draw me in an keep me playing for such long periods... infact I do have that 'non terminate' feeling when I play because I just don't want to stop, even though I know that I should...

I still class a lot of other games higher than this as 'best of' games. Nintendo games often make high up in that list because they are simply such perfectly created renditions of that genre.

I'll be damned if Mario Galaxy doesn't hit Spot No. 1.

Well it still doesn't have the Edge review I dont' think. pretty sure Edge gave it an 8.0 so that's going to drive it down. Meaning it will probably get knocked down a percentage point taking it off the top 10. But this title will definetly stay in top 20.

Having played through to about halfway through the game i can say with all honesty it is the best game i have played since Zelda OoT. You really need to play a large amount of the game to realise its beauty. I found myself actually being hurt, happy, or sad when plot twists came along. The story is absolutely epic, and the gameplay is awesome fun

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

This game is amazing, lets put it at that.
You have barely seen any of the game, the story is absolutly awsome, with betrayal, and its just plain creepy.

While at the first of the game you only get a few ways of killing people, later in the game, it mulitplies and becomes huge, there are so many ways its not even funny.

What you have played is a fraction of the game, people have opinions, but you cant say its not special, untill you have seen the entire game

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.