By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Reuters: Xbox 360 beats PS3, Wii - numbers inside

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUST13446120090226

TOKYO, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox 360 outsold rival machines from Nintendo and Sony for the first time in five months in Japan last week, helped by Square Enix's (9684.T) popular role-playing game title, a research firm said.

Microsoft's video game operations have struggled in Japan, home to both Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS) and Sony Corp (6758.T), and its Xbox 360 has rarely topped Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3 in weekly sales.

But in the week that ended Feb. 22, it beat its rivals thanks to the launch of the latest installment of Square Enix Holdings' blockbuster role-playing game series, "Star Ocean".

Analysts have said Microsoft needs to strengthen its lineup of role-playing game titles to cater for Japanese video gamers' tastes. Action and sports titles tend to be popular in the United States and Europe, while role-playing games sell well in Japan.

Microsoft sold 21,013 units of its Xbox 360 last week, compared with 16,900 units of the Wii and 15,967 units of the PS3, Ascii Media Works said on Thursday.

"Star Ocean: The Last Hope", which is designed for the Xbox 360, went on sale on Feb. 19 in Japan, and is estimated to have sold 173,850 units by Feb. 22, becoming the top-selling game software in the country last week, the research firm said. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

Around the Network

conflicting numbers, none the less great.

Well done, Microsoft. Now, which big Japanese game will you buy next?

badgenome said:
Well done, Microsoft. Now, which big Japanese game will you buy next?

Final Fantasy 13/Versus exclusive

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Yay?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

I'm more surprised that the ps3 almost beat the wii as well! What's going on WII?!

Not huge numbers, but good for MS making some sort of headway in Japan.

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Its cos the wii is doing badly as well remember, not just cos the 360 did well

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

MS RPG strategy is slowly paying off. Good on them. But do they have anymore (in Japan) after SO4?

Gamerace said:
MS RPG strategy is slowly paying off. Good on them. But do they have anymore (in Japan) after SO4?

Not much... just Magna Carta: Horse Nipples Crimson Stigmata and probably something from Mistwalker. Nothing to rival FFXIII, certainly.