By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do you guys think of this idea?

cool system but i hate to play ps2 in four or five years, I give (and I hope to him) two years more.

Around the Network

The fact of the matter is that Sony doesn't drop support for anything for a LONG time. It really doesn't matter how well it's doing (unless it doesn't sell at all). You can't blame Sony for releasing something and sticking to their product line.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

shams is a dirty cocksucker, who takes it in the ass. just like all the wii fans.

Not blue3.

Fuck you WiteoutKing, you fag, take that wii-mote up you ass bitch

I don't get what this "Sony supports their consoles for ages" business is. How many games does Sony develop for the PS2? The people who are supporting the PS2 are the third party developers who see a console with a massive userbase and cheap development, not Sony themselves, who are concentrating most of their development effort on the PS3 and PSP.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure Sony will help any third party if they make a good game, the Playstation2 still has over 130 games coming out before the year is over.

Sony is still manufacturing the devices... It wasn't until 2006 before Sony stopped making the PS1. That's how they support them. If they just stopped making them outright, developers would stop making games.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said:
Sony is still manufacturing the devices... It wasn't until 2006 before Sony stopped making the PS1. That's how they support them. If they just stopped making them outright, developers would stop making games.

Of course, they still manufacture them because people still buy them. The reason why Nintendo stopped making Gamecubes and N64s was because people stopped buying them. The reason why people stopped buying them was because developers stopped making games for them. The reason why developers stopped making games for them was because the install base was too small.

It all comes down to the third party support and the install base, not some magic from the company who makes the console. The NES and SNES were supported for a long time (NES longer than PS1 I believe) because these consoles had large install bases and continued to attract developer support. However, the N64 and later Gamecube both failed in terms of third party developer support and therefore had a shorter life.

Just because the PS1 and PS2 had long lives does not guaruntee that the PS3 will also have a long life. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Here is the problem with what sony is apparently doing. They have a large giant installed base with the ps2 that is till selling well. So they are now, according to the original post devorting a little more resources to it.

The beginng 1-3 years for a new hardware launch are the most critial. You have to have a large enough sales base to warrent more and more 3rd party games. Its hard to imagine sony wanting more ps2 sales vs ps3 sales concidering the ps3 is outsold by wii in every market and the 360 in NA. Europe is well preaty close.

This isn't particular to Sony. Nintendo is still manufacturing and shipping the GBA, due to still strong sales, even though they aren't developing games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs