By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GC *Spore* to be on 2(!!!) consoles. Rumor has it that...

First, I really can't imagine buying a game like this on a console.

Second, I really can't imagine EA only bringing Will Wright's next mega "Sims"type game to a few consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if they shoehorn it onto cell phones in the near future.

Third, just because EA decides to take it to only 2 consoles and one is the 360 does not automatically mean the PS3 is the other console. It has in the past but that is due I think to a simple business calculation that changes everyday and with every game (that is of course aside from many of the games being developed prior to Nov06 when the PS3 and Wii positions were expected to be the reverse of today). Simply put, when deciding which 2 systems, at the moment and probably always one will be the 360, the 3rd party has to decide if the cost incurred by porting the game from the first system can be made up by the expanded sales offered by the second system. For most games so far the PS3 offered, or was thought to offer, a better return.

For example, take a hard core FPS for the US market. Porting to the PS3 adds 20% to the cost, to the Wii 40%. However, in the US the PS3 has about 33% the install base and will buy this game as much as the 360 user base so 20% more cost for 33% more revenue is a good deal. The Wii has a user base about 66% as large as the 360 but say either half own a 360 (not an issue with the PS3) or don't buy FPS' then the Wii only offers 33% more sales. In this case 40% more cost for 33% more revenue doesn't make sense.

Now lets look at Spore. I think this is more of a NA/EU game so I'll use those markets. For the PS3 the game again would add 20% to cost but the PS3 may not be as fertile ground for a game like this so it would add some amount less than the 30% it normally would. Whatever lower amount it would be dangerously close to 20% making it not worthwhile. A Wii version would cost 40% more but the Wii would add almost 70% more potential sales (in this case I'm assuming Wii60 owners are balanced by the game being more popular with the Wii install base). That's a much better deal than the PS3 in this case.

Of course it's more complicated than that when actual costs and potential sales are used but I'll leave it at that since it's long enough already and it basically explains why a game could come to only the 360 and Wii even if many haven't so far.

Around the Network
Just_Ben said:
WiteoutKing said:
I think the Wii could pull it off, though it would likely be a multidisc game (I would buy it, though)

Highly unlikley! The intresting thing on the game is, that models and such things take only some kb, and can be shared easily without broadband connection.

Also, if they're releasing this game on DS, they should have no trouble fitting it on a single DVD for Wii. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

gamingdevil said:
sinha said:
Bodhesatva said:

I don't think I like this logic very much. What we seem to know is:

1) Spore will be on two consoles.
2) One of these is the Xbox360.

I'm going to point out that 95 percent of the time thus far, when the Xbox360 has a game and that game is ported to another console, that console is the PS3.

Agreed, although there is some possibility it will be 360 and Wii, it seems unlikely.

Is there a SINGLE game that's 360 and Wii but not PS3? Or PS3 and Wii but not 360?

There are probably 50-100 games that are 360 and PS3 but not Wii.

Table Tennis says "hi!"...

Rockstar Table Tennis was never a full priced game for the 360. Whereas 360 games sell for $59, it initially sold for $39.

So does that mean you can't come up with anything else? 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

StarcraftManiac said:
sinha said:
Bodhesatva said:

I'm going to point out that 95 percent of the time thus far, when the Xbox360 has a game and that game is ported to another console, that console is the PS3.

Agreed, although there is some possibility it will be 360 and Wii, it seems unlikely.

Is there a SINGLE game that's 360 and Wii but not PS3? Or PS3 and Wii but not 360?

There are probably 50-100 games that are 360 and PS3 but not Wii.

What about Rockstar presents: Table tennis.

Or Bully: Scolarship edition?!... Both are X360 and Wii... And NOT PS3... And yes... Both are from Rockstar! One of the most important (almost exclusive) PS2 developers there was.

I already answered the Table Tennis part.

Bully came out for the PS2 almost a year ago.  To say that's a 360 and Wii game but not a PS3 game is a bit ridiculous considering PS3 owners have been able to play Bully for almost a year and the other versions aren't even out yet.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

thermal7 said:
Bodhesatva said:

This is true and I think the reason is that games made for the xbox360 are generally too graphics intensive for the Wii but not for the PS3.

Given though that Spore is coming out of the DS which is obviously a fraction of the xbox360's power, I think the Wii is actually a good candidate.

It actually surprises me that it isn't coming out on all 3 given how big the game is.

The DS version is being built from the ground up for the DS and will be released when Spore is released.  Console games i believe will come later.

Around the Network

I kind of think it's a moot point. I can't imagine any versions being very good compared to the PC version, and the PC version didn't look like it had heavy system requirements so all of us here should be able to play it

famousringo said:
Just_Ben said:
WiteoutKing said:
I think the Wii could pull it off, though it would likely be a multidisc game (I would buy it, though)

Highly unlikley! The intresting thing on the game is, that models and such things take only some kb, and can be shared easily without broadband connection.

Also, if they're releasing this game on DS, they should have no trouble fitting it on a single DVD for Wii.

The DS version is only a portion of the full Spore game.  I believe it was three of the seven stages.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

I'll start caring about Spore again when I think it's going to be released sometime within the next 12 months.

Until then I'll keep thinking awesome concept (even though I hate Will Wright since he wants to put me out of a job >_>) that if they pull off will be an impressive accomplishment.

Isn't the rumor that it'll be on all 3 new-gen consoles?

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20135