By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Its so sad when games like these sell.

Criminal916 said:
Hmh is it weird to say that game has a soul?

Very weird, if you say it in a more or less literal sense. Though you're not the first to say it. And what you mean by it is pretty hard to figure out, because different people mean different things when they say a game has "soul".

I don't use the term myself to describe a game, but I tend to consider it to mean that a game is well-designed aesthetically and in terms of considering the target audience. A game with "soul" means, to me, that the game resonates with the player because it's been designed so intricately and carefully that it's almost organic in how it shifts and changes in tiny ways to accomodate the player and get them into the experience.

Not being the target audience of these games, however, can you really say that you're a fair judge of whether or not they have that resonance with the target audience?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

"Not being the target audience of these games, however, can you really say that you're a fair judge of whether or not they have that resonance with the target audience?"

I'm no judge,just what I think.

oh wow it's not a joke account!

How can you tell a game doesn't have a soul without playing it? Are weddings soulless?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

"How can you tell a game doesn't have a soul without playing it? Are weddings soulless?"

Using brain+watching videos of it+"smell".
Wedding soulless?No.

LoL, i can imagine a lot of small girls buying that game, and what an idea from Ubisoft to develop this kind of cheap games....

but everyone has a different taste, you can't expect small girls to buy Zelda or Metroid instead of this

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

For the record (and for what it is worth):

Imagine Party Babyz for the Wii got a 75 from IGN

http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936573p1.html

I'll be honest, I really wanted to hate Party Babyz. We as gamers have, after all, been trained for years to be suspicious of mini-game compilations, to ignore products with babies on the cover and to absolutely abhor games using the letter "z" in their titles as an indication of a plural. I had all these great jokes lined up, a whole list of witty and sarcastic remarks that would have forced the developers into early retirement and ultimately secured my reputation as one the most scathing and hilarious freelancers the IGN readership had ever seen. That list now sits crumpled at the bottom of my trash bin.

Why, you ask? Because, despite one of the worst examples of botched box art marketing I've ever witnessed, Imagine: Party Babyz is one of the finest mini-game compilations to ever grace Nintendo's home console.

I can't search more because Game Rankings is down right now.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

oh my, I don't know why anybody bought those games. Imagine Babyz or whatever it was called sold 2.3 million? WTF?

Owner of: PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, DC, and Xbox.

Most Wanted: Gran Turismo 5, Conduit, Assassin's Creed 2

Bah If those games are good, they deserve good sales. If I had a daughter, I would buy her "my wedding dress or whatever" instead of killzone 2 or GTAIV ...

look at the positive. If you study to become a divorce lawyer you will make millions in a few years

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Now I can't vouch for the soul or care that Ubisoft puts into their 'Imagine' titles but I expect many little girls would think most FPS, TPS and action games have no 'soul' - just mindless violence.