By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are All Super Gamer PCs Born Equal? Not by Price They're Not!

Grampy said:
FastFord58 said:

@ Grampy...

Please link to me these reviews, I can't seem to find any that say the mobo is nothing more than fantasic.

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. It would be fairer to say that I didn’t find any review nor did user feedback on NewEgg seem to justify the Rampage’s price, especially if you have no interest in extreme overclocking or triple SLI.

For example, NewEgg lists 27 X58 MOBOs and the Rampage is the most expensive of all and double the price of the least expensive. And yet it does not have particularly great feedback. With 98 responses only 59% gave it a 5. Also some of the negative score were by purchasers that experienced DOA cards and other significant technical problems. For comparison the P6T6 WS revolution had an overall 86% and not a single individual score less than 4.

Now I realize the fact that customer feedback is not a 100% reliable method of evaluation but it does have its place. If I see a product with 150 responses and they are all 5, I would buy it without hesitation. Motherboard responses are lower in number so less exact but for $400 I would hope for better. The plain vanilla P6T did better and is $150 less expensive.

Asus Model X58 boards

Price

Score % 5*****

Rampage II Extreme

$399

59%

P6T Deluxe /OC PALM

$339

65%

P6T Deluxe (Anandtech Gold Editors Choice Award on x58 Roundup)

$300

59%

P6T6 WS Revolution

$370

86%

P6T

$250

62%

P6T WS Pro

$320

43%

I also read some on-line reviews and in fairness they were generally positive but with the caveat that what they liked were generally the exotic features which I do not plan to use. One site I rely on is firingsquad.com and they had a very recent review of the P6T and indicated it would do everything I need as well as the Rampage.

It was also interesting that in their highly recommended Spring 2009 buyers guide to gaming computers, they assembled what they believed to be the best possible gaming computers for $500, $1000, and $1500 plus one $5000 “dream computer” that they described as not one anyone should actually build but just a fantasy where price was absolutely no object. The one time they chose the Rampage was for this computer which told me that while certainly an excellent board, for most of us it just isn’t a practical choice.

Fair enough.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau