By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Two Worlds thoughts?

I don't have the game yet, it's currently inbound from GF. Has anyone here tried it yet? Inital comments in other forums don't sound very hopeful. Apparently there are frame rate issues in multi-player and the production value (such as voice acting, etc.) is low. It doesn't sound much like an Oblivion killer. Look'n more like an Oblivion wanna-be. I hope I'm wrong, as I was really looking forward to the multi-player aspect of this one.

Around the Network

None of the stores around me have it yet. I can't wait to try it though.

I bought it today.

I'll try to be as concise, and critical (good and bad) as possible. I'll have an official TW review sometime soon once I get more time in the game.

A rundown of my scoring (thus far) for Two Worlds:

Graphics - 6.75
Two Worlds graphics well....Suck. From the opening cutscene, you think your playing a high-budget Xbox 1 game. The terrain quality is rather bad (in comparison to Oblivion), while the character models are high texture, they are very low in poly count. No fantastic edges, or ripples to clothing. Framerate issues are also prevalent in some areas when your combating alot of enemies.

Also, PC/NPC animations are pretty bad. Think Oblivion on 3rd person mode - they're slightly worse than that. Not very smooth, and very little difference in attack combo animations.

However, despite the abysmal (for an X360 game) graphics, the load times are FANTASTIC. There are almost NO load times anywhere. If you teleport from one town to another, load times are 1-2 seconds at maximum. Man, this is refreshing. Also no lag when your inside a cave or building. Draw distances are pretty bad though - slightly worse than Oblivion's.

Story - 7.0
Meh. Typical "save the world" WRPG story. Nothing great thus far, but that could change. Quests are pretty standard with no frills (kill the bandits or monsters, fetch an item, find the whereabouts of someone).

Sound/Music - 7.25
The best way to put it is the VA/SFX gets a 5.0. The VA is crappy, as the characters are speaking very lame King James English (with almost no real enthusiasm). Likewise, the SFX are garbage. Heck, when you attack a wild boar, you get the same SFX from Warcraft 2 (yes, I can remember them from WC2, and they're the same ones!).

However, the OST is very good from what I've heard ingame. This redeems an otherwise bad sound & music catagory.

Gameplay - 9.0
Okay. Everything gets an average score but gameplay. Although the game is lacking in so many areas, the general gameplay is fantastic. It's not an Oblivion-killer. If anything, it's more of a Fable killer. The 3rd person camera is pretty solid, and enjoyable (despite the animations being horrid). The experience/leveling system is far more enjoyable than Oblivions. I just love seeing "exp" beside my character. Most EXP is gained from quests vs. enemies. Also, in some areas, the amount of enemies you fight is insane. Typical battles involve you & 3 enemies, but I've fought upto 8 at a time (zombies in a graveyard). The Alchemy system is BETTER than Oblivions. The game is quasi-open ended. The enemies are insanely overpowered in the beginning in 90% of all areas. You start with a sword that does 6-12dmg. Within 30 minutes, you'll have a 22-102dmg spear.

There's tons to go over on the gameplay side. The gameplay will be either a "love it" or "hate it" sort of thing. But I really, really, really like the gameplay.

Overall:
Had Southpeak/Topware spent more time on this game, it'd be beyond a gem. It'd be a contender with Mass Effect for RPG GOTY. However, the game is insanely underpolished and under-deved. I would hope to think that Topware/Southpeak will try to patch some of the issues (as 60% of the issues I'd have with the game could be patched).

My reccomendation:
Definate rental for any WRPG fan. Strong buy if you can get past the poor graphics, and enjoy a strong W/A RPG. Very fun for me thus far. Definate buy for any general WRPG fan once it hits $30. And believe me, I have a feeling this one will hit $30-$40 levels REAL quick (ie, holidays).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Again, TW will either be a love it or hate it game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

not a fan, too bad it bombed

When I don't see reviews of a game even after it's released, I start to worry.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

To be fair, the shipping dates for TW have been totally screwed up. Initially, the game was supposed to be shipped 7/31, but was delayed to 8/14, then 8/21, then 8/23 - it's final shipdate.

I think thats the reason that TW has no reviews yet - there was no set date for release because MS basically certified it THIS WEEK. There were no review copies available until Wednsday.

Again, fun game despite the flaws. Once you get about 1hr into it, and learn the system to Two Worlds, it's an insanely fun game. It has glimmers of Morrowind-like fun aspects of the game.

Combat is just ungodly fun. There's nothing like trying to take on a Cyclops at level 15. He can kill you in one hit. Soooooo fun.

Gameplay definately gets a 9.0. It's kinda like Earth Defense Forces 2017. It's gonna get sub-80% reviews near across the board due to it being so underpolished, but if it gets patched (framerate issues, and some smaller issues), it's a must buy by anyone.

It was worth my $60. Go rent it. Fun game.....

wow i just saw your gamerscore is 30 k ^^... my respects

Yes. It's well above 30k now, but I do not have XBL (which is why TW isn't showing up). Right now I'm almost @ 32,000.

The character progression/development aspects, as well as leveling up is one of the most near-perfect experiences I've had as of late for any rpg. It's very similar to KOTOR1.

Level ups take place pretty dang quick too - 5 and 1/2 hours in, Im @ level 18 or 19. You can get (and make) permanant effect potions from the get-go if you have the ingredients. There's nothing like making a potion that is "permantly increase vitality by 5, and Mana by 500". Very cool.

Again, just to go on: the game gets to Oblivion-like addition levels once you get in. Im hooked.

WOW...mrstickball, my cousin bought that game when it launched, the previous day me and him purchased Gears of War and he said when Two Worlds launches I'm going to trade Gears of War in for Two Worlds. Currently he did and I didn't because Gears of War is the best damn thing thats out for the 360 until Halo 3 and Mass Effect comes out.

So I'm currently holding off on Two Worlds and with mrstickball giving me a review, now this game is way at the bottom of my list. I haven't even played The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and I'm about to purchase that game next. *GULP* so many 360 games I can't keep count. And I see edminion playing Enchanted Arms everyday. So I'm going to buy that game also!!!!!

Tak - Give TW a rent before you make a final judgement. If your going to buy EM, you might want TW.

But either way, get GOTY Oblivion in September. It'll probably go for $40 and include Shivering Isles.