By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - zelda ocarina of time best game ever?

even released on 1998 , this game still perfect , and i think it's difficult for any develloper including nintendo, to create a more perfect game than it.

this is just my opinion, what's yours?

Around the Network

No, it´s a good game but my best of all time is SUPER METROID. Sheer perfection.

My favorite Zelda and my runner-up behind Super Metroid is A Link to the Past.

Yes Super Nintendo rules.

one of da best out there

there have been better zelda games released after ocarina of time, its just that they didn't make such an impact as the first did cause of how revolutionary it was.

Its like halo 3, is better than halo 2. But still basically can be said as halo 2 with prettier graphics. But still it is a better game. But people will consider halo 2 better because halo 3 did nothing new.

just like twilight princess is better than ocarina of time, but is basically ocarina of time with updated graphics so it is tossed under the radar of "greatest games ever"

Well I know this thread will inevidably become full of people saying ALTP is better or calling it overrated, but yes in my opinion as well; this game is tied with Majora's Mask for my favorite games of all time.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
there have been better zelda games released after ocarina of time, its just that they didn't make such an impact as the first did cause of how revolutionary it was.

Its like halo 3, is better than halo 2. But still basically can be said as halo 2 with prettier graphics. But still it is a better game. But people will consider halo 2 better because halo 3 did nothing new.

just like twilight princess is better than ocarina of time, but is basically ocarina of time with updated graphics so it is tossed under the radar of "greatest games ever"

I actually believe that Zelda 1 and 3 was the most groundbreaking.

The Legend of Zelda is just that, legendary. It started it all, created the world known as Hyrule. It´s a classic.

A Link to the Past expanded the Zelda universe, made it complete with the timewarpes, the use of the map and more, all of which have been used since. I my opinion Ocarina of Time is just an update of A Link to the Past but made in 3d. A very good game but in my opinion nowhere near the level of A Link to the Past. This is just how I feel, I know many disagree.

The Legend of Zelda is the classic. A Link to the Past is the masterpiece. My two cents.

The thing is, the best game of all time would have to be something that is infinitely replayable for me. While I did enjoy Ocarina of Time immensely, I don't think I would have replayed it more than three or four times before the repetition of tasks and environments tired me.

Now, put me in a deserted island with a game like Starcraft, Warcraft or Civilization, and I would be entertained for many, many years. Put me with any linear story-based game in a deserted island, and I will be feeling miserable after a few weeks, if not days.

Some people would put online games here, such as all the excellent FPS titles like Call of Duty, etc. I personally am not a fan of shooters, but I admit those games are pretty much almost infinitely replayable as well.

Anyway, that's my personal criterion for choosing what the BGOAT should be. I respect your right to disagree with me.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

Okami, of course.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
scydrex said:
The thing is, the best game of all time would have to be something that is infinitely replayable for me. While I did enjoy Ocarina of Time immensely, I don't think I would have replayed it more than three or four times before the repetition of tasks and environments tired me.

Now, put me in a deserted island with a game like Starcraft, Warcraft or Civilization, and I would be entertained for many, many years. Put me with any linear story-based game in a deserted island, and I will be feeling miserable after a few weeks, if not days.

Some people would put online games here, such as all the excellent FPS titles like Call of Duty, etc. I personally am not a fan of shooters, but I admit those games are pretty much almost infinitely replayable as well.

Anyway, that's my personal criterion for choosing what the BGOAT should be. I respect your right to disagree with me.

Yes you hit it right on the head with that one. I totally agree. What makes us feel that is of course totally individually.

To me the old great 2d games tend to give me that feeling. They just seem to have such a great "flow". I don´t know how many times I played Super Metroid and A Link to the Past. I never get tired of them. Ocarina I loved while I played it the first time but I haven´t played it since and cannot find any inspiration to do so. Strange, isn´t it?

I see what you mean, Samus. One of the elements that puts OOT in such high regard is that the game, at least when it came out, was practically flawless.

The game was the right length, the missions were varied, the dungeons and monsters were compelling, the sense of wonder and exploration was ever present, the music was quite nice, there were many creepy undead and spiders, for those of us who like to have their scares, the graphics were amongst the best that generation's consoles could put out, and the controls were TIIIGHT as hell.

Add to that the fact that players were coming back to a proven franchise, one which most of us love, and you've got a winner.

So yes, I understand why this particular game is so special in people's hearts. I loved it, I just don't call it the best ever. It can be in my top 20 of all time, though.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.