By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is there no PS2 Originals service like on x360?

I love the fact that I've been able to buy old xbox games and play off my 360 harddrive, and I keep checking the psn for a similiar feature, they have whole ps3 games downloable and there ps2 library is a billion times better then the xbox library why don't they have a similar feature? Plus some of the older classics niche titles are hard to find, being able to download them would be awesome.

Around the Network

The hardware to run PS2 games was stripped from the newer PS3s. Unless Sony can come up with a software solution for PS2 emulation, it's not going to happen.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I guess Sony wants people to continue buying the PS2, for their PS2 gaming needs. Once the PS2 dies off, I would expect Sony to incorporate the ability to download and play PS2 games on the PS3. This is due to the fact that the PS2 makes a lot of money for Sony (both hardware and physical software).

I figured though that if they released them in bursts at a time like on the 360 they could make sure they work and package it with what ever software to simulate them on the systems that can't run them, being that with a download they can control and change the software. I don't know it just seems with the power of the ps3 its silly to not be able to do this. Also I have the system that can play the older games so I tend to forget about that, maybe it's to tricky with two kinds of systems out there. I just would have loved this feature.

it doesn't need it anyone who has a ps3 probably has a ps2 with all there favourite games
and if theres a game u want u could get it pre-owned... a good idea it is but not necessary right now

Around the Network

As soon as PS2 games are no longer manufactured, Sony will most likely try to implement PS2 downloads. Sony has nothing to gain from pre-owned game sales and they would be smart to get some of that money that EB/GS is whoring.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

The PS3 isn't able to play PS2 games, just not powerful enough. However, you can play PS1 games and even DL a few. The PS4 will likely be powerful enough to play PS2 games, so wait for that.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org