By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How closer are we from a Video game Crash?

We're only seeing somewhat of a weeding out of smaller publishers, and even then only of smaller publishers who fit 2 criteria:

1. Unable to compete on their own in the High PC/PS360 market. They can't muster the financial resources to pull off the kind of top-notch game to grab attention, not without posting significant losses anyway

2. Unwilling to shift to a handheld, low-end PC, and/or Wii development model. Which is only for companies that are either stubborn, or so thoroughloy ingrained in what could be called "core" development that they are simply unable to make the switch

Basically, the game is up for the sucky core publishers, like Midway, but ultimately it will make the industry healthier. It will streamline core game development, and also encourage more development in the handheld, Wii, and mass-market PC development, which is where the industry's growth is now anyway.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Ail said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
ssj12 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
you just want a crash to happen so that PC will be at the top....I have seen your previous posts shio.

The WII is having RECORD BREAKING SALES

The Xbox 360 is BREAKING THE TREND for "3rd year" PEAKs by having a fantastic 4th year

the PS3 is SELLING a HUGe amount for a console of the price it is

the DS is STILL HUGE

the PSP is doing Brilliant in Japan
_________

basically......NO

hard to call a platform thats been on top for 20 years not on top of the industry. And a video game crash would affect everything from PC to console to handheld. Its not a single area getting affected if this happened.

Can you give some proof that it has really been on top for that long? And in the later periods, it does seem that the PC is no longer the biggest in most areas (it even falls behind the PS3/X360 in certain areas).

Of course, World of Warcraft alone is on size, if not bigger than, the Ps3, so including that the PC market would be the biggest.

Kinda depends on how you count it I guess.

Why exactly would you not include WoW in the PC revenue ?

That's like saying you don't include Ninteno in consoles lol........

PC revenue is still above and beyond console revenue just because of MMORPG...

You have around 20-25 million players worldwide playing MMORPG and forking 10-15$ a month. That alone is at the minimum 2.5 billion $ of revenue on subscription not counting expansions and stuff....Add those in and the MMORPG market alone is probably around a 5 billion $ market yearly and it is still growing ( can't find actual numbers from market research, if anyone has them please link them).

I'm not saying you shouldn't count it. I'm saying you have to take into consideration that one game is 25-50% (I dunno) of the revenue.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Ail said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
ssj12 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
you just want a crash to happen so that PC will be at the top....I have seen your previous posts shio.

The WII is having RECORD BREAKING SALES

The Xbox 360 is BREAKING THE TREND for "3rd year" PEAKs by having a fantastic 4th year

the PS3 is SELLING a HUGe amount for a console of the price it is

the DS is STILL HUGE

the PSP is doing Brilliant in Japan
_________

basically......NO

hard to call a platform thats been on top for 20 years not on top of the industry. And a video game crash would affect everything from PC to console to handheld. Its not a single area getting affected if this happened.

Can you give some proof that it has really been on top for that long? And in the later periods, it does seem that the PC is no longer the biggest in most areas (it even falls behind the PS3/X360 in certain areas).

Of course, World of Warcraft alone is on size, if not bigger than, the Ps3, so including that the PC market would be the biggest.

Kinda depends on how you count it I guess.

Why exactly would you not include WoW in the PC revenue ?

That's like saying you don't include Ninteno in consoles lol........

PC revenue is still above and beyond console revenue just because of MMORPG...

You have around 20-25 million players worldwide playing MMORPG and forking 10-15$ a month. That alone is at the minimum 2.5 billion $ of revenue on subscription not counting expansions and stuff....Add those in and the MMORPG market alone is probably around a 5 billion $ market yearly and it is still growing ( can't find actual numbers from market research, if anyone has them please link them).

I'm not saying you shouldn't count it. I'm saying you have to take into consideration that one game is 25-50% (I dunno) of the revenue.

WoW was 10% of PC's revenue in 2007.

There was a huge video game Crash back in 1996. In the beginning, his games were pretty good, but after Crash Team Racing, it went down hill fast. There has been a gaming Crash EVERY year since then. I figure we're due for another gaming Crash sometime later this year.