By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

People forget that in the NES era Mario games came out regularly. Mario was the referee in Tennis, he was in Wrecking Crew alongside Super Mario Bros., he was in the bonus stage in Pinball right around the time he was featured in Golf, he was the referee in Mike Tyson's Punchout, Dr. Mario was right alongside Super Mario Bros. 3, NES Open Tournament Golf while SNES's Super Mario World was out, Super Mario Kart right beside Mario Paint on SNES not to mention Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine, Mario and Wario in Japan in 1994, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2), Super Mario 64 within the span of a year.

Mario isn't and has never been a one game a system affair and at one time more than one of the main platforming SMB/SMW/SM64/SMS kind of games came out on the same system.

NES/Famicom not counting the pre-Super Mario era which makes the point even stronger:

•Super Mario Bros. - 1985 (NES)

•Super Mario Bros. 2 -Japan original- 1986 (NES)

•Super Mario Bros. 2 -American version- 1988 (NES)

•Super Mario Bros. 3 - 1988 Japan/1990 America (NES)

5 years and three major Mario platform titles released in that time on one system. They didn't really start rationing out the main Mario until later years. Super Mario World from 1990/1991 to Super Mario 64 from 1996 was a 5 to 6 year span. I didn't count SMW 2 Yoshi's Island because it was more a Yoshi game.

But there's ALWAYS been a bunch of Mario each generation one way or another. I haven't even counted the handhelds! Not even gonna go into the Game & Watch titles 'cause that would blow your mind (Still have my Mario's Cement Factory since 1984 & it still works )

•Super Mario Land - 1989 (Game Boy)

•Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 1992 (Game Boy)

•Donkey Kong '94 (Game Boy) - 1994

•Mario's Tennis and all the Virtual Boy Mariosity - 1995

To some Mario may be overplayed as a mascot but if he wasn't like HHH likes to say "That damn good" his games would never be bought (get HHH at Summerslam King BookAH!).

It has always been this way, either in cameo or in full-fledged game Mario has always been out all over Nintendo's various systems. When Nintendo went through the 3rd party drought in the N64 era they had to rely on Mario a little more due to software lack. This is what pushed Zelda further to the forefront and gave us our fully-fledged Mario Sports series, Mario Parties, Paper Mario along with Super Smash Bros. in the first place. The Mario & Luigi portable games and the vast extension and elaboration of related characters in the Mario series that only add to the legend and fantasy of that universe.

It may seem that they're whoring out Mario to you but if you look at the history, he's always been plastered all over Nintendo's systems. And I don't think that should be any different. There's a reason why there are so many Mario-fanfics and Newgrounds vids based on that universe. He got it like Mickey Mouse and Big Bird.

The Icon that can still go. (Boy I've been watching too many wrestling clips on YouTube lately)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games_by_year

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

If you ask me, I hope they make more Mario games. I would love to play another Super Mario Bros. game on the DS and I really want to see another Super Mario game on the Wii after Super Mario Galaxy. Mario is just one of those characters that you just can't get enough of.

So make it happen Nintendo!!!!! Give us more Mario!!!!!!

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

Yeah maybe nintendo should make Kart games with a bunch of random characters? Then like, nobody recognizes them? That would be awesome!
Oh wait, someone already did that.

supermariouniverse said:
If you ask me, I hope they make more Mario games. I would love to play another Super Mario Bros. game on the DS and I really want to see another Super Mario game on the Wii after Super Mario Galaxy. Mario is just one of those characters that you just can't get enough of.

So make it happen Nintendo!!!!! Give us more Mario!!!!!!

I agree, and I would also like to add that it would benice if they just made a new 2D Mario for the Wii. I think that many forgott that not all games have to be 3D just because we can make 3D.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Mario is Nintendo's mascot for cryin out loud. Who else would they use? Without Mario bros. the Video Game Industry might not even be here today, so you'd be damned if you wanted to get rid of him.

Seriously, as long as Nintendo is around Mario will be around. That's Life.

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

Around the Network

Not trying to be mean, but asking a company to stop using their main source of income is really really stupid. Why don't you go ask Disney to stop using Mickey?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Mario!!!

Getting rid of Mario is like Canceling Halo 3 on Opening night

whoa people. u act like im attacking mario or nintendo or something. im not saying he's bad or that im expecting nintendo to use him less, just that im tired of seeing him at this point. half a year with no mario games would be nice for once.

and yes i know he has always been used a lot, but its just that recently its getting on my nerves.

i played nsmb and was unimpressed, but it was fun. here's to more mario platformers and less side stuff.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

I don't think people are attacking you, it's just that what you say makes little sense. If Mario is getting on your nerves, then it's best to get the hell away from Nintendo.

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

but i dont have a mario game in my house other than nsmb and ssbm. i am away from mario in general.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.