By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Bushfires in Victoria Australia, over 84 dead

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25026356-5006785,00.html

Terrible, its now the worst bushfire ever in Australian history eclipsing ash wednesday. It looks like the death toll will continue to rise :(

EDIT http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/08/content_10782031.htm 14,000 homes without electricity now.

Around the Network

96 now, ABC radio reporting at 12:30am

Its awful news and you can just imagine how many other houses haven't been searched yet. More than 700 homes burned.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

How is it possible to die from a bush fire, can't they see it coming and walk away? or does it spread so fast that you can't outrun it?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

dolemit3 said:
How is it possible to die from a bush fire, can't they see it coming and walk away? or does it spread so fast that you can't outrun it?

Key factors affecting bushfires

• Fuel: Anything that burns is fuel for the fire: litter on the ground (leaves, twigs, rubbish), undergrowth (shrubs, grass, seedlings), trees and other vegetation, structures (such as houses) and any other miscellaneous objects in the vicinity; gas bottles, piles of firewood, tyres, etc. Ladder fuels are low growing (30 cm to 2 meters) vegetation that offers a ladder for the fire to rise to the canopies of trees.

• Weather: Weather is a major contributor to bushfires. The hotter and dryer, the more likely it is for a bushfire to start and spread uncontrollably. High winds will reduce humidity, and cause an ongoing bushfire to spread more rapidly. Most bushfires start in the afternoon, when it is driest and hottest.

• Topography/slope: The topography of the terrain is a major factor in bushfire behaviour. Generally the fire spreads faster uphill. Conversely, fire going downhill advances more slowly. The superheated air is pushed in front of the fire drying and pre-warming the fuel for ignition. When a fire progressing downhill hits the flat at the bottom of the hill, the height of the flame can quadruple, when the fire hits the undulating slope opposite, the height may quadruple again. In other words, 1 metre flames going downhill can turn into 4 metre flames at the bottom of the hill, and to 16 metre flames starting to climb the next hill. While the height of the flame depends mainly on the height of the fuel, the former stands as a reminder that an innocent looking small bushfire can rapidly change into a life threatening fire.

It was very windy so the embers spread fast and very far quickly. People also thought it wasn't as bad as its turned out to be. Alot had stayed too long and couldnt leave in time or they got killed in their cars when leaving.

Also there were alot of small fires all over the place, multiple fronts coming from different directions.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

108 Dead this morning - 7am Mon 9th Feb

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:

Not everyone can run, and not everyone is awake or aware they need to be looking.

No, this isn't a movie, fire isn't gonna hunt you down. On foot, being reasonably mobile and aware of its approach, you should easily be able to avoid it. However, those conditions are not always met, thus the death toll.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

How fast do these things spread?

Its not correct Zenfolder because what we are talking about here is (quote) fire thats as high as a ten story building and miles wide. The heat, when pushed by wind, basically causes you to pass out or loose concentration very quickly.

@BeTa, Fast, well i got that info earlier from Wiki page on bushfires, but its really up to the wind which was the biggest influence on that heatwave.

Oh my gosh... that is terrible. I've been so busy I haven't watched the news or anything lately. T_T

*hopes they get this under control before anyone else......*

Yeah this is no ordinary bush fire. People that had great escape plans and were very well prepared (this is Australia afterall) were killed. People that chose to stay and defend their homes were also killed.

The day was one of the hottest in history, so the fires were (and are) spreading with ease.