By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So there are 1st & 3rd Person shooter. What about a 2nd person shooter ?

I have some noob questions :

1- What do we mean when we say 1st person shooter and 3rd person shooter ?

2- why there is only 1st and 3rd person shooter and no 2nd ?

Around the Network

1st person is when you view it from the eyes of the guy you are playing as. 2nd person means someone else than the person. For instance you play a guy but the view is the angle of another guy. This is instead of a floating camera thats called a 3rd person view.

The new prince of persia, surprisingly has a segment that is in 2nd person view. I say this cause it's pretty rare in games.

Check out my game about moles ^

older resident evils are kind of 2nd person..... maybe?

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

I can guess.

1st person is you the shooter.

2nd is the intended shootee(hope this is a word)

3rd is another person as in its like someone behind you following you where you are going.

Makes sense to me. Don't know if it is correct though.

The terms come from English grammar:

First person = I (singular), we (plural)
Second person = you (singular and/or plural)
Third person = he/she/it (singular), they (plural)

These terms have been applied to videogames to indicate perspective.
Generally:
In an FPS, the character is the player ("I").
In a TPS, the character is a personality ("he/she/it") controlled by the player.

"Second person" is a perspective other than the person that is currently central to the story/action/plot, and is often the person/individual/thing being acted upon.

... or, something like that. It has been a long time since I studied English grammar.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Around the Network

First Person = I
Second Person = You
Third Person = Him/Her

So in a second person shooter you'd likely see what your opponent sees. Might work for a fighting game but not much else.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

It comes from the meaning of the words "me", "you", "he/she". These are first person singular, second person singular and third person singular.

So when you play a "first person shooter" you are seeing things from what are supposed to be your in-game eyes. In a third person shooter, you're seeing from another perspective, usually one following behind the character.

I'm not sure what could be described as a "second person" viewpoint. I suppose if they showed the game from the perspective of a relevant party who you are not in control of, it could be considered "second person". If you can imagine playing half-life, and controlling Gordon Freeman, but your screen only shows the viewpoint of one of the soldiers/aliens. Obviously, that is not practical for a game.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I see

so killzone 2 is a 1st person shooter because you look what the player looks. and uncharted is 3rd person shooter because you can see the player himself.
still not sure about about 2nd person shooter. but got some info that may help.

thanks guys!

BTW, Fallout 3 is a mixture between 1st & 3rd shooter, right ?

A 2nd person shooter will be very tricky to make, with the view changing from enemy to enemy who are being shot at. In fact, it makes no sense at all.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Res games are too third person,but they are survival horror so people don't talk about them as third person shooters.

Take my love, take my land..