By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Tournament III running at 60FPS

your mother said:

Edit: Take, for instance, the much-glorified "HD" of this generation. PC gamers have been gaming in HD for a good while. It's really nothing new but rather "been there, done that" for them. While now console gamers are going gaga over this, PC gamers have been able to enjoy 2560x1600 for at least five years now.

does this even matter on a 17 inch screen?.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
Really? What games have you been playing at that resolution? I have been playing games on my PC at high resolutions but not that high. I have gamed under 1080p for oblivion and other games of that nature but I get to turn on all the advanced features. http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html They don't have the "ultra resolution" benchmark comparisons anymore, but if you can game with everything on at 1920x1080, you can certainly game at higher resolution with some of the eye candy turned off. Also, there's this: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Surround_Gaming

"Yes - but it's the same hardware. The only performance gains you can expect are optimizations. PC gaming will not only enjoy optimizations on existing hardware, but performance gains on new hardware - something that no console can enjoy." yeah, but at a price, would only be unbearable if they improve games too fast though. "It means exactly the same as what you stated about Motorstorm and 30% of the CELL being utilized. Developers are still wrapping their heads around the CELL. Developers are still wrapping their heads around 64-bit and multicore CPUs. Same situation, different hardware and software, that's all." so is my bioshock example right? "Never saw the angry German kid. Link? I guess it's funny... I don't know much about Korea except they game mainly with PCs and that Starcraft is the official religion (jk). Again, I would love to see PC gaming numbers - we hardly have any of that information anywhere!" enjoy http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I cannot wait to play this under Linux as I have not purchased a Linux game since X2(Will be getting X3 when it comes out later this year or early next). How will console gamers get owned by PC gamers? Ever play Quake III arena? The Dreamcast version allowed you to play against PC players and it was almost the same game play with the mouse and keyboard as it was with the controller.

does this even matter on a 17 inch screen?. Well, how about you first FIND a 17" monitor that supports such resolutions? Normally you have to go to 24" and above to get that level of output. But I can throw that right back at you: do you use a 17" monitor to play with your consoles? I use a 27" and a 32". Yes, at those screen sizes, differences in resolution and eye candy are certainly noticeable.

Around the Network
your mother said:
They don't have the "ultra resolution" benchmark comparisons anymore, but if you can game with everything on at 1920x1080, you can certainly game at higher resolution with some of the eye candy turned off. Also, there's this: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Surround_Gaming

HOLY COW!!! can you say eye cancer? seriously the radiation from that setup can kill you.. theirs a reason parents tell their kids too watch tv from a distance.

yeah, but at a price, would only be unbearable if they improve games too fast though. so is my bioshock example right? enjoy http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA Yes, at a price, but such is the elitist nature of hardcore PC gaming. Some do have the budget though, otherwise companies like Alienware and Voodoo would have been long out of business, but instead have been bought by Dell and HP, respectively. They can't be doing that bad if those two corporations are willing to buy up boutique vendors. Your Bioshock example? I honestly didn't understand it! Thanks for the link.

HOLY COW!!! can you say eye cancer? seriously the radiation from that setup can kill you.. theirs a reason parents tell their kids too watch tv from a distance. You do realize that LCD TVs do not radiate like CRTs?

Cross platform play hasn't been confirmed anyway, so at this point it doesn't matter if the PC gamers could wipe the floor with console gamers. I never intended to play against PC gamers anyway. I will play the single campaign and against fellow PS3 gamers since this game will sell for the PS3!

your mother said:
does this even matter on a 17 inch screen?. Well, how about you first FIND a 17" monitor that supports such resolutions? Normally you have to go to 24" and above to get that level of output. But I can throw that right back at you: do you use a 17" monitor to play with your consoles? I use a 27" and a 32". Yes, at those screen sizes, differences in resolution and eye candy are certainly noticeable.

ummmm... funny thing is, i wasnt being sarcastic.... yeah i just checked my 17" and it only goes up to 1440x900 consoles are meant to be played on big screens, thats prolly why the "much-glorified HD" of consoles got a lot of attention, and the higher resolutions of pc didnt.