By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: Playstation 4 GPU is by Intel

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/851/1050851/intel-design-playstation-gpu

The article writer's source is apparently someone at the Sony CES booth.

It seems Sony will use an Intel GPU (Larrabee) in their next console. This makes sense on Sony's part since their current Nvidia GPU is behind the Xbox's, and it makes sense on Intel's part because they need a console to encourage developers to target the new GPU, since it will have its own API in addition to the usual OpenGL and DirectX. Sony may also be considering an Intel CPU (unlikely, because of the investment in Cell and its architecture), which would have significant cost and performance advantages if on one die with the GPU. The date 2012 is mentioned for both Microsoft and Sony's next consoles.

The article also repeats that the other two next-gen consoles are likely to have AMD GPUs. Nvidia won't have any design wins, likely because they had a bad relationship with MS and an underperforming part with Sony.

Very interesting considering my previous topic.

Around the Network

since larrabee is a direct competitor to the Cell, i doubt this!

You mean Sony has decided to use an untested architecture without available tools (besides for an extremely small number of people) and no track record to speak of?

After the troubles they've been having because the exotic Cell?

I don't think so. I'm willing to eat crow on this one a few years down the road if it turns out to be true tho...

MS continuing their partnership with ATI is interesting, given how intertwined MS, the X360 and DirectX are. This symbiotic relationship will probably become tighter down the road...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

is this a rumour?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Considering that Intel's system will be widely used by the time the PS4 comes out (2011/12) then yes it could be feasible as Sony might be thinking that the cost to buy it from Intel is less than an upgraded cell chip from Toshiba who now builds all the cell chips in the PS3. (remember Sony sold off the manufacturing to toshiba last year)

This and that the same chip architecture will be in MS's next system is also a strong possibility. Right now the biggest problem is MS's chip is far easier to code for as it is PC based and fairly common whereas the Cell is just now (2 years later) becoming familiar to devs. By sticking with a more PC oriented chip in PS4, Sony should be a lot more competitive and regain lost market share.

I think its a much better move.

EDIT: oops, didn't realize this was talking about the GPU, not CPU. Ignore my post.

Around the Network

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-shoots-down-intel-gpu-in-ps4-rumours-525563

/thread

I don't want Sony to go with something that's common tech. It just seems so unlike Sony... I'm hoping they stay interesting :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

superchunk said:

Considering that Intel's system will be widely used by the time the PS4 comes out (2011/12) then yes it could be feasible as Sony might be thinking that the cost to buy it from Intel is less than an upgraded cell chip from Toshiba who now builds all the cell chips in the PS3. (remember Sony sold off the manufacturing to toshiba last year)

This and that the same chip architecture will be in MS's next system is also a strong possibility. Right now the biggest problem is MS's chip is far easier to code for as it is PC based and fairly common whereas the Cell is just now (2 years later) becoming familiar to devs. By sticking with a more PC oriented chip in PS4, Sony should be a lot more competitive and regain lost market share.

I think its a much better move.

EDIT: oops, didn't realize this was talking about the GPU, not CPU. Ignore my post.

That's a lot of posting gone to waste 8(

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

nojustno said:
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-shoots-down-intel-gpu-in-ps4-rumours-525563

/thread

Yep, I did say it was a rumour. But notice they didn't deny it outright.

And Intel's GPU is in about the same state as any potential ATI or Nvidia future GPU. All of them are equally 'vapourware' from the perspective of a console designer. It's not impossible that a next-gen console will use Larrabee.

When did Intel last/ever make a decent gaming gpu? Seems like a stupid idea if true.