By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Leaked Specs: (Denied by Sony)

deathgod33 said:
ssj12 said:
please see Sony's 2005 E3 press conference..... the CELL will be 11nm by the end of the generation.

so we can possibly see a $250 ps3 by the far far end then.

probably sooner, I think Sony has already switched ram from XDR to XRD2. The RSX is getting shrank pretty quick by nVidia. Should be 40nm by the end of the year. CELL will be 32nm by the end of the year or beginning of next.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

This could also mean that PS3 will continue it's course
and they will develop cheaper, developer friendly, and casual player friendly console.

Developers would be more prassj12 said:
scottie said:
Lol, the rumour contradicts itself with these two statements

"Sony will be cutting down manufacturing costs for this model by basing it off the existing PS3 technology."

"Also, it’s also said that Sony will be developing a new PlayStation that will be easier to write games for"

A CELL v2 would be easier to code since it would be a very similar processor

Developers would be more practiced at it, for sure. And it would be good that they aren't making it even harder to program for, but it certainly wouldn't be 'easier' by any sense

Coca-Cola said:
This could also mean that PS3 will continue it's course
and they will develop cheaper, developer friendly, and casual player friendly console.

but they would of have to make a slimline ps3, the present one looks too big and scary for little kids .

scottie said:
Developers would be more prassj12 said:
scottie said:

"Sony will be cutting down manufacturing costs for this model by basing it off the existing PS3 technology."

"Also, it’s also said that Sony will be developing a new PlayStation that will be easier to write games for"

Developers would be more practiced at it, for sure. And it would be good that they aren't making it even harder to program for, but it certainly wouldn't be 'easier' by any sense

Few more cores and SPEs wouldnt effect anything since the base coding knowledge would be there.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
scottie said:

Actually, it would be harder because now they have to find a way to take linear algorithms and make it scale to 20+ SPEs instead of just 7. However, if IBM makes the improvements to the Cell that they spoke about, a few technical challenges will become much easier to work around. I guess in the end it would break even to be as difficult as it is now.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

While I'm not going to make any specific comments about the rumour, what Sony is working on today and might get leaked as a rumour may not be much like what Sony settles on a couple of years from now when they finalize the hardware design for the PS4.

HappySqurriel said:

While I'm not going to make any specific comments about the rumour, what Sony is working on today and might get leaked as a rumour may not be much like what Sony settles on a couple of years from now when they finalize the hardware design for the PS4.

Actually, the specs being leaked and predicted by people with technical knowledge is actually on par with the technology that will be available in 2011 or so. A cell with 24-32 SPEs is very much plausible.

Good news Everyone!

jetrii said:
ssj12 said:
scottie said:

Actually, it would be harder because now they have to find a way to take linear algorithms and make it scale to 20+ SPEs instead of just 7. However, if IBM makes the improvements to the Cell that they spoke about, a few technical challenges will become much easier to work around. I guess in the end it would break even to be as difficult as it is now.

It really depends on the direction they choose to go with on a "Cell V2" ...

Hypothetically speaking, Sony could choose to produce a processor with 3 to 8 Power Processing Elements and keep the same 8 SPEs just for backwards compatibility, and the end result would be (somewhat) similar to most other multi-core processors and could be much easier to develop for.

HappySqurriel said:
jetrii said:
ssj12 said:
scottie said:

It really depends on the direction they choose to go with on a "Cell V2" ...

Hypothetically speaking, Sony could choose to produce a processor with 3 to 8 Power Processing Elements and keep the same 8 SPEs just for backwards compatibility, and the end result would be (somewhat) similar to most other multi-core processors and could be much easier to develop for.

The problem with that design is that the SPEs would be neglected since the PPEs are much easier to develop for and it would be like programming 2 architectures because the SPEs and PPEs have a few differences. I think that would actually complicate things a lot. The job of the PPE is to manage and distribute tasks to the SPEs and handle a few tasks which requires data from all SPEs. An equal number of PPEs and SPEs would break that philosphy and require major changes to their existing codebase.

Good news Everyone!