By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft looks for Xbox love from the ladies (Read this dammit)

Microsoft recently started recruiting women to throw Xbox soirees as part of a branding effort to get women to start playing the Xbox, according to the Gannett news service.

They got an Xbox party pack of freebies that included microwaveable popcorn, Xbox trivia game "Scene It? Box Office Smash," an Xbox universal media remote control, a three-month subscription to Xbox Live, and 1,600 Xbox Live points (used for game, movie and TV show purchases).

I do think this is a great marketing strategy but as with all Microsoft marketing efforts it feels a bit off. Women have proven to be huge consumers of casual games, and heavily interested in the Wii (Nintendo has been advertising heavily to the ladies for quite a while) but the Xbox feels like a stretch. And, there aren't a ton of Xbox games that are appealing to women--at least not from my informal survey (I asked my wife and a woman in the hotel lobby.)

"We've sold 20 million consoles to date globally since we launched three years ago," says Heather Snavely, Microsoft's director of interactive entertainment business global platforms. "In order to get to the next 20 million, we need to get a new audience of women and teens. We're going after them in ways that are different than ways we've done before."

Good for Microsoft on this attempt and good for the women who want get involved with playing video games.

Of course, the main thing that comes to mind for me with this program is a free episode I downloaded of The Real Housewives of Orange County, where all the snake-skinned ladies got together for a cocktail and lingerie party. Somehow, I just can't see that crew getting together for a rousing game of Fallout 3 or Grand Theft Auto. Maybe if there was a Botox game or something where you drink until you irreparably insult your husband and isolate your children? (Zing!)

Link

Around the Network

Won't work. Ninty is tough competition.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

And? So they shouldn't try?

Game like scene it and lips are starting to find an audience on the 360 so whilst the console will never take a large percentage of the market from the wii, expanding its audience will still lead to positive gains for the console.

Just like $150,000 lost on this, if my math skills aren't too horrible, I was about to say damn MS just keeps on throwing money around but that is not too much money.

Wonder why the other two don't try to do these kinds of things, maybe just a little too aggressive of a tactic or something.

Little big planet is the game for females. Nintendo has still got the most though.

Around the Network
FaRmLaNd said:
And? So they shouldn't try?

Game like scene it and lips are starting to find an audience on the 360 so whilst the console will never take a large percentage of the market from the wii, expanding its audience will still lead to positive gains for the console.

Considering the cost of the "effort" I'm not sure "gains" may be the right word...

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

""We've sold 20 million consoles to date globally since we launched three years ago," says Heather Snavely, Microsoft's director of interactive entertainment business global platforms. "In order to get to the next 20 million"

Old lol

^ Can't hurt.

Just to post it again since I enjoy it so . (And it has relevance).

Women gamers you say?  Microsoft already has some real big women gamers :

Dude we know your mom likes xbox, you didn't need to post her pic.