By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do-it-yourself PS2 repair

I'm watching the credits of Final Fantasy 12 roll at the moment.

To get this far, I had to play the final boss rush several times in a row, turn the PS2 (a model 4 PS2 BTW) on its side, clean the disc, vacuum the system, and skip (by mashing X and start amidst constant stuttering) several cutscenes to get the bloody thing to go this far. Luckily the endgame bosses are complete pussies or I would've probably snapped the disc at some point.

As I intend to complete several other PS2 games in the near future, I'll probably have to deal with these hangups/crashes again at some point, and the tricks described above probably won't always work. Does anyone have any "war stories" to tell or fixes to share, so I won't have to start climbing walls the next time this happens? :P

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network

I've had about 5 PS1's, and roughly 4 or 5 PS2's. It seems all of them just.... go out after about a year of use. I got so good at fixing PS1's I took apart about 5 broken ones to make one good Frankenstien PS1 that worked. Unfortunately, the connecting ribbon on the laser was alot shorter in later models, and would not reach the motherboard, so I couldn't set the laser where it needed to go to fit in the case. :(

I'm still on my first PS3 and my second 360, however.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce