By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How to best carry your "explosive" gadget?

source

Exploding cellphone kills Chinese man

Here's the thing about batteries: they store energy. Lots of it. Channeled correctly, that energy does really awesome things for us -- but channeled chaotically, and... well, you know where this is going, don't you? A man shopping in a Lenovo store in mainland China has been killed after the phone in his chest pocket exploded, severing arteries and leading to massive blood loss. The make and model of the phone and battery have yet to be identified, but seeing how this is the seventh high-profile case of an exploding phone in China in the last six years, it really gives you pause before installing that shady off-brand juice, doesn't it?

Okay, my cel is usually in my left front jean pocket. If that explode, it would unlikely to kill me but almost guaranteer that I will no longer be capable of reproduction.

My DS, which goes in my shirt pocket. If that blows up. My heart goes with it.

How do you carry your "explosive" gadget?

We need to invent ways to safely carry our toys without worrying about them exploding on us, taking our sex and lives.

Around the Network

Luckily my phone is pathetic; if it were to explode it may or may not fray my jeans a little.

However, I would like to know the manufacturer/type of phone that has a chance of exploding.
That may or may not help me in purchasing a new one.

Quickdraw McGraw said:

Luckily my phone is pathetic; if it were to explode it may or may not fray my jeans a little.

However, I would like to know the manufacturer/type of phone that has a chance of exploding.
That may or may not help me in purchasing a new one.

Perhaps pathetic phones make excellent shrapnel? Death by consumer item is not cool at all.

I carry mine in my left trouser pocket as well. Not too worried about my genitalia, but there's a pretty damn big artery right next to it. Hmm... actually the pocket is big enough that it's generally hanging on one of my thigh muscles. Wouldn't be nice to have it blow up, but at hopefully not lethal. =P

Seriously though, seven cases in six years in all of China? That's not bad at all, especially since most phones there are probably cheaper models that are no longer sold in the West, or wouldn't even pass safety regulations in the first place.