By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Irish Internet

Well here in Ireland our broadband services are about 15 years behind everybody else in Europe, my isp is eircom and they have frustrated me into rages of furious anger due to their sheer incompetence and neglegence. Changing isp didn't solve anything because the other companies seemed to be worse. Ntl is improving so I might give them a go.

Killzone 2 will be out soon and if I don't manage to fix these problems before that time it's going to give me alot of problems trying to play online.

I pay for 7.6mb/s but only get 1.7mb/s during peak hours and a maximum of 3.2mb/s off peak. But that's not the big problem, the major problem is the fact that my internet cuts out on average every 15 mins if I'm trying to use it. Sometimes it says it's a DSL error. Other times the red light on the modem is on and I need to switch my modem off and on again. The first main issue that might be causing this is my modem that eircom supplied me with. A netopia wireless modem that seems to overheat alot. I have rang eircom many times but all the tell me to do is change the default channel which does nothing.

Anybody have any tips for me? Like what new modem I should get? Could the wires in my house be old and not good enough, and how can I check that? And what the secret password is that you say over the phone when talking to your isp so they know you're in the special internet club and say "oh yes sir right away" and switch your internet from suckage over to ownage?

Around the Network

I rewired (telephone) my house a few months ago when I was having internet problems. I went from having hundreds of thousands or error transmissions per day to about 20.

If your wiring is old or your enviroment is damn, look in your jacks to see if there is green build-up on your copper wires. If there is, try cleaning it off, or rewire. It's not that hard, especially since I decided to forgo doing each room and instead just bought a DECT wireless system since I can have one wired line serve up to 6 handheld phones.

By the way, I read your post in an Irish accent in my head. Is that ok?

Dogs Rule said:
I rewired (telephone) my house a few months ago when I was having internet problems. I went from having hundreds of thousands or error transmissions per day to about 20.

If your wiring is old or your enviroment is damn, look in your jacks to see if there is green build-up on your copper wires. If there is, try cleaning it off, or rewire. It's not that hard, especially since I decided to forgo doing each room and instead just bought a DECT wireless system since I can have one wired line serve up to 6 handheld phones.

By the way, I read your post in an Irish accent in my head. Is that ok?

that's fine, well it depends. There are so many varieties of Irish accent :P Colin Farrel seems to put it on a bit strong at times :D

Yeah I'll take a look at those wires, it's an old enough house so I wouldn't be suprised if I found some string and some cups linking me to the internet. Wireless really seems like the way forward, thanks for the advice : )

I suggest you move into my house.

Yes Eircom suck. It happens to me too. (Yes Dallinor, Donegal has Broadband :p )

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
Yes Eircom suck. It happens to me too. (Yes Dallinor, Donegal has Broadband :p )

Last time I was in Donegal, people were still using these:

Dallinor said:
I suggest you move into my house.

How will that help? So we can both moan and complain about crappy internet? Are you looking at it like a mathematician thinking it'll be a positive experience?

After Dogs rule mentioned Irish accents I've been watchin youtube vids that explain or define the "real" irish accent and I found someone who looks and talks exactly like me, weird. Then through the power of links I ended up watching some Irish comedy.

Oh and the internet hasn't cut out, so maybe it's just the heavy pressure that Resistance 2 coop puts on my modem is causing it to overheat and crash. Better start shoppin for a new one :P

Here's some Irish comedy : )

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=SJF6u9u9Pd8&feature=related

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XRm9Q2KfzBA

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIzoLkStDM&feature=related

Dallinor said:
blazinhead89 said:

How Old are you? 80? 90? xD

Actually, my wireless comment was about the phone ,as in getting good quality DECT cordless phones in your home (I'm not talking cell phone). That way if you rewire your system you can make it as simple as possible: a 2 way splitter jack and a 15 meter jack and wire assembly. Plug the splitter in the phone company's jack (you might have to have them install one if your current phone system just has wires connected to each other instead of a jack) Then you plug your 15 meter assembly into the splitter and put its jack where you want your phone to be (but you'll also have up to 6 handsets positioned in the house).). Then you plug your modem into the 2nd hole of the splitter with as short and new a wire as you have. That way all your wires are as short and new as possible.

Although you probably will need a wireless router, since it might not be convenient to have all your stuff close to where your new modem location will be.

blazinhead89 said:
Dallinor said:
blazinhead89 said:

How Old are you? 80? 90? xD

I was there last summer! (Killybegs) I was just surprised you guys had invented the wheel.

And I hope for the clans sake you have broadband in Donegal, can't have my officers lagging to pieces!