By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Vs PS3/360 Graphical Comparison (Multiplatform titles only)

See and people say (Wii Fanboys) The only difference between PS360 and Wii Games (Graphically) is the resolution. So much more on screen, Better AI, Textures, etc.

Around the Network

For starters, maybe you should post similar screenshots which are actually comparable...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

blazinhead89 said:
See and people say (Wii Fanboys) The only difference between PS360 and Wii Games (Graphically) is the resolution. So much more on screen, Better AI, Textures, etc.

I don't remember anyone saying such a thing.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wii has to stay SD to make the graphics look good simply because it doesn't have the frame buffer to output to HD without butchering the texture resolution, it does have the potential to look almost as good in 480P but the main problem is most western developers have absolutely no clue about what they are doing with the Wii or that they simply don't have the budget to make good looking Wii games because they took the gamble to HD consoles instead. What you basically end up with are games with lower budget costs that look like crap and not polished at all on top of missing features. The good news is, JP devs have not abandoned it, which is why I got the Wii in the first place, I want JP games and Wii has a ton of them.

NJ5 said:
blazinhead89 said:

I don't remember anyone saying such a thing.

Oh not necessarily on this forum.

Around the Network
Katakis08 said:
>>Wii has a bit weaker graphics

That is a little bit understated :D

Wii uses graphics hardware from 2000/2001 equivalent to a GeForce2 MX 200.
It doesn't have shader and it's far away from HD resolutions.

But the average Wii consumer doesn't care, he only wants to play Mario Kart with his children from time to time ;)

First off, the Geforce 2 was a graphics card from 1999/2000 and produced graphics to what was produced on the PS2 ... The Gamecube/XBox were more similar in performance to the Geforce 3 which was a 2000/2001 graphics card, and the Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube and is (probably) more similar to the Geforce 4 in real world performance.

Secondly, the Flipper/Hollywood processor uses a TEV unit to produce the same kind of texture effects that can be produced using pixel shaders. The TEV unit is very similar to pixel combiners which were used before graphics card manufacturers moved towards a programmable pixel pipeline ... The reason why the moved away from pixel combiners was that there was no standardization and how you produced an effect was different between manufacturers, and could even be different from one generation of graphics card to the next.

Now, there is no doubt that there is a very large gap between the HD consoles and the Wii but rarely do graphical comparisons treat the Wii fairly. Often the Wii games chosen are (practically) identical to a PS2 game and there has been no effort to push the Wii’s hardware, and these games are compared directly against a HD console game that is pushing the system’s hardware while reducing the resolution and struggling to maintain a solid 30fps.

If you were to be entirely unfair in the other direction, and did a direct comparison between a 1080p PS3 game that ran at a steady 60fps and a 480p Wii game that ran at 24fps I bet the graphical difference would look like it was a matter of resolution.

Soriku said:
Katakis08 said:

But the average Wii consumer doesn't care, he only wants to play Mario Kart with his children from time to time ;)

Esa-Petteri, is that you?

Hint: If you wanna make an ALT account, don't make yourself so obvious.

No, i am not Esa-Petteri (who the hell is that?)

And it's my first and only account here, but I observe this great page since years.

@HappySqurriel

"The Gamecube/XBox were more similar in performance to the Geforce 3 which was a 2000/2001 graphics card, and the Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube and is (probably) more similar to the Geforce 4 in real world performance."

To compare a Gamecube with Xbox is dangerous. The Xbox had much more GPU power than the Cube, and it still has more power than the Wii. Xbox featured shader model 1.1 and had  MSAA (multisampling).

And you can't compare real shader with the TEV units of the Wii. TEV stages are pretty similiar to the renderstages from DirectX7. But the pixel operations aren't the biggest problem of the Wii, the vertex unit is. You don't have GPU powered softskinning on the Wii because it only has vertex lighting (and this is only a fake, because it doesn't have perspective correction). The Wii doesn't support 720p nor 1024i/p. 

And I stick to it: Wii has the power of a Gerforce 200 MX.

I don't blame Nintendo for saving money on the GPU, they did a great job by introducing new controller techniques.

Katakis08 said:
Soriku said:
Katakis08 said:

Esa-Petteri, is that you?

Hint: If you wanna make an ALT account, don't make yourself so obvious.

No, i am not Esa-Petteri (who the hell is that?)

And it's my first and only account here, but I observe this great page since years.

@HappySqurriel

"The Gamecube/XBox were more similar in performance to the Geforce 3 which was a 2000/2001 graphics card, and the Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube and is (probably) more similar to the Geforce 4 in real world performance."

To compare a Gamecube with Xbox is dangerous. The Xbox had much more GPU power than the Cube, and it still has more power than the Wii. Xbox featured shader model 1.1 and had  MSAA (multisampling).

And you can't compare real shader with the TEV units of the Wii. TEV stages are pretty similiar to the renderstages from DirectX7. But the pixel operations aren't the biggest problem of the Wii, the vertex unit is. You don't have GPU powered softskinning on the Wii because it only has vertex lighting (and this is only a fake, because it doesn't have perspective correction). The Wii doesn't support 720p nor 1024i/p. 

And I stick to it: Wii has the power of a Gerforce 200 MX.

I don't blame Nintendo for saving money on the GPU, they did a great job by introducing new controller techniques.

features, maybe, raw power, not really. xbox1 has nothing on Wii on raw power, it's a known fact already, I don't know how people come up with xbox is as powerful as the Wii and more powerful than the cube crap. it's not the power, it's the features, get your facts straight. cube's raw power was already above the xbox1, but it didn't have shader model capabilities which was a nice feature to have.

ps: you can't look at consoles the same way you'd look at programming PC games, DX7 is a windows libary which has absolutely nothing to do with the Wii's TEV, you'd do more low lvl coding on the Wii for good looking games instead of using middleware and western devs are just too lazy.

The topic should be

Wii v GCN Gfx.

Then slamming developers for making Wii games look crappier then some of those out on Gamecube.

Cobretti2 said:
The topic should be

Wii v GCN Gfx.

Then slamming developers for making Wii games look crappier then some of those out on Gamecube.

which is sad because Wii is way more powerful than the cube or xbox.