By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The fear I have ( wii support related)

Well to start of. It's being said that currently developers are switching more to wii development because it will be cheaper/ faster done and takes less people to work on a game.

I don't see this shift I see a different shift which could seriously hurt the sales of the wii.

To explain. Developers that are working on bigger projects are not shifting to the wii. The are dividing there resources between a xbox360/ps3/pc ports. This for them still is cheaper and has a bigger userbase then making a wii only game.

I fear that if microsoft and sony see this as being lucrative to wipe out nintendo and it's wii . They could tell developers to make a game for those 3 platforms  and make sure the wii dies a slow dead because of lack of thirth party support. When they are done they can then go after each other again. Without needing to think about the wii.

The only way to stop this is have nintendo buy a lot of thirth party exclusives ( allthough the wii will thrive on first party games as well it won't be enough to win this generation at this rate

If you don't believe me just check the Leipzig Games Convention lineup. It's show I am right.

Although I hope I am not.

Anyone with the same fear?

Around the Network

Lots of people. I am not one. But if you were to go through the threads on here you would find many discussing just this topic.

You don't have to worry about Nintendo, they will be just fine. They have this thing called profit, and another thing called a plan. See where ever Nintendo goes, it brings these things around with it. Plus Nintendo is bigger than Sony, so Nintendo isn't really the little guy, that investors should worry about.

Oh, and many people buy crappy games. Crappy games don't hurt a console, because the people who buy them are too dumb to know they are bad (see: Steven787 loves Blazing Angels, what an idiot. Er, oh, that's me)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

oh did not know we had topics about this.
Give me a link and I will talk there and you can close/merge this one.

I didn't mean as a reposted thread, I meant as far as other people expressing their concerns with the Nintendo's third party and/or traditional games. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk.

You have a low post count, but don't seem to be a troll or an idiot, I wouldn't be mean to you until you have atleast 100 posts in here. :P

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Uh... I disagree, there are definitely a lot of large projects coming to the Wii.

The only developers Microsoft and Sony can "tell" what to do are their own first- and second-party teams. Third-parties can, unless they are bound by contract, develop for whomever they choose.

EDIT: In addition, Nintendo has the most solid first-party development of the three console companies right now. They've survived on less third-party support than they have right now.

Also, the Wii is fast approaching having a larger userbase than the 360 and PS3 combined, so that issue really isn't a factor in this anymore.

Finally, the cost of production for any PS3/360 multiplatform game will always be more expensive than a Wii game.  Even with a sales boost, the development costs for either system would still outweigh profit from sales.  Taking the time and manpower to code the game for both systems makes it even harder to pull profit.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
steven787 said:
I didn't mean as a reposted thread, I meant as far as other people expressing their concerns with the Nintendo's third party and/or traditional games. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk.

You have a low post count, but don't seem to be a troll or an idiot, I wouldn't be mean to you until you have atleast 100 posts in here. :P

It's fine as it is m8.  I am not a big poster. But I was already reading since the start of the site. But lately I felled I had to voice opinions with people.

So I am happy it's not a duplicated thread from someone else

No, the third parties will move with the userbase. They'll go where ever they think they'll find the best return on their investment.

The reason you aren't seeing a flow of development to the Wii is because it was written off before it was released. Most of the people who control the money in games assumed that this generation would pan out like the previous one did and banked on Sony for their technical power or MS for being the first to market. Because top-notch games take two or three years to develop, you won't see all the new Wii projects annouced for a few months yet. Wii will be dominated mostly by 1st-party development and quality ports like RE4 and Godfather until probably mid to late 2008.

Remember that Nintendo isn't as dependent on 3rd-party development as the other consoles. They make top-quality games in nearly every genre, and these games will keep the Wii afloat while the 3rd-parties figure out how to develop for the Wii platform.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

That's perfectly cool with me. I'm happier with more quirky titles like Zack & Wiki and Dewy's adventure coming out for Wii than I would be if FFXIII, MGSIV and GTAIV all came out for it (although in those particular cases it's probably just because I don't like those games).

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

densiyrex said:

Well to start of. It's being said that currently developers are switching more to wii development because it will be cheaper/ faster done and takes less people to work on a game.

I don't see this shift I see a different shift which could seriously hurt the sales of the wii.

To explain. Developers that are working on bigger projects are not shifting to the wii. The are dividing there resources between a xbox360/ps3/pc ports. This for them still is cheaper and has a bigger userbase then making a wii only game.

I fear that if microsoft and sony see this as being lucrative to wipe out nintendo and it's wii . They could tell developers to make a game for those 3 platforms and make sure the wii dies a slow dead because of lack of thirth party support. When they are done they can then go after each other again. Without needing to think about the wii.

The only way to stop this is have nintendo buy a lot of thirth party exclusives ( allthough the wii will thrive on first party games as well it won't be enough to win this generation at this rate

If you don't believe me just check the Leipzig Games Convention lineup. It's show I am right.

Although I hope I am not.

Anyone with the same fear?

Hi densiyrex - its nice to see new blood on this board! :)

I don't agree at all. Without over-arguing, I'll just counter some of your points with some thoughts:

1/ Although its probably true that the biggest project are not Wii projects - this is natural. If you were making the same game for all three platforms, the Wii version would require less development (in theory anyway). This is simply because of the nature of the platform itself - and its a good thing.

2/ The Wii is getting dedicated development teams - the PC/PS3/360 are getting shared dev teams. This is also an arguably good thing. Its been proven that platform specific teams generally get more out of a device than cross-platform teams.

3/ Lack of 3rd-party support: its the exact opposite. Because its cheaper and easier to make Wii titles - there are MORE 3rd-party titles coming to the Wii. Its looking like it will easily get the most 3rd-party support this gen - an amazing thing for a Ninty console ;)

4/ Buy 3rd-party titles: Nintendo would never do this. Never forget that Ninty is a software/game development company (primarily). Sony is a hardware manufacturer. MS make operating systems, dev tools & related software. Ninty make most of their money from 1st-party publishing. Sony/MS make most of their money from licensing/manufacturing of software for other companies.

5/ The Wii is winning - easily - based on a reasonably weak lineup (that has been released so far). Its actually selling faster than any console - ever - and penetrating into huge untapped markets (non-gamers).

If you want to fear for someone, think about MS & Sony - and whether this upcoming "battle" can cripple both to the point where Ninty will dominate for years to come. Competition is always good for the consumer, and I hope neither Sony nor MS end up "crippled".

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

steven787 said:
Lots of people. I am not one. But if you were to go through the threads on here you would find many discussing just this topic.

You don't have to worry about Nintendo, they will be just fine. They have this thing called profit, and another thing called a plan. See where ever Nintendo goes, it brings these things around with it. Plus Nintendo is bigger than Sony, so Nintendo isn't really the little guy, that investors should worry about.

Oh, and many people buy crappy games. Crappy games don't hurt a console, because the people who buy them are too dumb to know they are bad (see: Steven787 loves Blazing Angels, what an idiot. Er, oh, that's me)

I think this argument has a major flow. Third Party is not fixed size. Even if the current big 3rd Party decide not to develop for the Wii, there is still money to make on that plattform, lots of. Just look at Red Steel and RE4, games sell on the Wii and are cheap to delevop. Some 3rd Party Developers will use that to make money. And i can't see how the Wii is not backed up by 3rd Party at the moment. Ok, there are not much big hits, but a lot of 3rd Party were cought with their "pants down" (said EA).

Not a lot of people believed the Wii would hit. EA has allready said they will be doing more on the Wii. Ubisoft will do games. Even Rockstar is bringing games to the Wii. OK, at the moment not GTA but games that use the same enging (Table Tennis). I think they are testing what they can do on the Wii (Graphic and Gameplaywise) and how good it seels (Bully and Manhunt2). If these test are successful if have no doubt some GTA will hit the Wii, there is just to much Money to make.