By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Graphics Gap Will Start To Widen

Both system's graphics are amazing. to distinguish them based on pointless specifications don't really mean anything. coming from a wii-only gamer, both consoles have games that look basically identical, spare a few first party titles of their respective console.

what i mean is no one is going to choose a ps3 over an xbox based on graphic capabilities (at least i would hope not).

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

Around the Network
obamanian said:

@haxxiy

Xbox 360 is unified, you never have to loose cycles to adress the other 256MB ram, like you have to do on PS3

Also the GPU uses unified shaders which practically are utilized 90%+ comparing to 60%+ of the separate ones, again anything PS3 has more in raw power, 360 surpasses easilly with design

The shader pipeline is also wider and with above SM3.0 specs than a normal DX9 card PS3 has

And the 10MB EDRAM help both free ram and bandwidth in a huge way

It doesn't... 'All' it does is make some pixel shader operations 'free'. You all do know that XENOS is actually divided into 2 parts, one is main die and another is daughter die, don't you? Main die can give jobs and data for daughter die to process. Daughter die is dedicated for pixel shader jobs and 'gives' for example AA for 'free' if used correctly.

It looks like this,

You can see daugter die with naked eye.

So its actually 2 'cores'(Or more like dies or units) not one. :P

And for X360 maxing its limits... Uhm, saying X360 is maxing its limits is like saying all that PS3 can do is what unreal engine can do. I think PS3 will max its potential much faster than X360. It might be that X360 potential is never maxed(As all devs seem to use unreal engine or already done/not optimal engines for X360.). Well, I don't blame devs because its much cheaper to buy engine than make one by themselves. It also cuts nicely development time. (You know... Less waiting... :D)

i hope so but i don't think that wen the gap is at it widest it will be such a big difference its really in the devs hands and as of right now there still favoring the 360 a bit more than the ps3

Play Me

So... GeoW2 can improve leaps and bounds, despite being a 2nd iteration of an engine on the 360, but games like KZ2, being a 1st engine iteration and frankly looking better than GeoW2, can't get any better, and thus the 360 has more room to grow?

Come on 360 fans. You can come up with stuff better than that. Like "MS will figure out some genious way to make deferred rendering work on the 360 without blowing the GPU's eDRAM every time a render target is switched! I know, they are working on it right now! They said so!" or somesuch.

Groucho said:
So... GeoW2 can improve leaps and bounds, despite being a 2nd iteration of an engine on the 360, but games like KZ2, being a 1st engine iteration and frankly looking better than GeoW2, can't get any better, and thus the 360 has more room to grow?

Come on 360 fans. You can come up with stuff better than that. Like "MS will figure out some genious way to make deferred rendering work on the 360 without blowing the GPU's eDRAM every time a render target is switched! I know, they are working on it right now! They said so!" or somesuch.

Dont go there please,Gears 2 has better texture KZ2 has better Shaders.

and no one said KZ2 graphics cant improve its just the PS3 fanboys saying that 360 graphics will start to suck after a while.

Around the Network

@OP

good riddance lol

Gears 2 more than proves how capable 360 is competing against ''cell'' lol

So they have been saying since 2007....

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Deneidez said:
obamanian said:

@haxxiy

Xbox 360 is unified, you never have to loose cycles to adress the other 256MB ram, like you have to do on PS3

Also the GPU uses unified shaders which practically are utilized 90%+ comparing to 60%+ of the separate ones, again anything PS3 has more in raw power, 360 surpasses easilly with design

The shader pipeline is also wider and with above SM3.0 specs than a normal DX9 card PS3 has

And the 10MB EDRAM help both free ram and bandwidth in a huge way

It doesn't... 'All' it does is make some pixel shader operations 'free'. You all do know that XENOS is actually divided into 2 parts, one is main die and another is daughter die, don't you? Main die can give jobs and data for daughter die to process. Daughter die is dedicated for pixel shader jobs and 'gives' for example AA for 'free' if used correctly.

It looks like this,

You can see daugter die with naked eye.

So its actually 2 'cores'(Or more like dies or units) not one. :P

And for X360 maxing its limits... Uhm, saying X360 is maxing its limits is like saying all that PS3 can do is what unreal engine can do. I think PS3 will max its potential much faster than X360. It might be that X360 potential is never maxed(As all devs seem to use unreal engine or already done/not optimal engines for X360.). Well, I don't blame devs because its much cheaper to buy engine than make one by themselves. It also cuts nicely development time. (You know... Less waiting... :D)

Ok smarty pants. Explain the memory usage scenarios for implementing 2x MSAA on the Xbox 360 and PS3, taking into account frame buffer etc.

Tease.

obamanian said:
Killzone 2 got 9.5/10 in visuals in IGN, so i guess there is no confirmed gap anymore

Killzone 2 got a final score of 9.4 on IGN, Gears Of War 2 got a final score of 9.5 as did Halo 3,

So IGN still rates Gears Of War 2 and Halo 3 higher than Killzone 2, I guess the gap isn't widening after all then.....

FKNetwork said:
obamanian said:
Killzone 2 got 9.5/10 in visuals in IGN, so i guess there is no confirmed gap anymore

Killzone 2 got a final score of 9.4 on IGN, Gears Of War 2 got a final score of 9.5 as did Halo 3,

So IGN still rates Gears Of War 2 and Halo 3 higher than Killzone 2, I guess the gap isn't widening after all then.....

Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64... 10 for graphics, 10 overall score!  Nintendo wins gR2pHiKs wArz, confirmed!

Take a step back, and think about how reviews evolve over time.  You really think Halo 3 can compare to GeoW 2 or KZ2?