By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which companies(any company related to gaming) do you dislike/hate?

Microsoft: subscription fees for P2P gaming
EA: SecuROM
Ubisoft: StarForce & SecuROM

Around the Network
bouzane said:

Why no hate for StarSoft (StarForce) and Sony (SecuROM)?

microsoft..............only handful of games that they are putting on thier console that take my intrest, plus i dont like the charge to play games online

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

MDMAniac said:
bouzane said:

Why no hate for StarSoft (StarForce) and Sony (SecuROM)?

I was just singling out game publishers that bundled the DRM with their games, not the makers of the DRM. I hate StarSoft and Sony for making StarForce and SecuROM but StarSoft is not a game developer and Sony's game division does not publish any signifigant number of PC titles infected with DRM so I didn't think it was worth mentioning them.

Groucho said:

I'll be the first to say it: Microsoft.

I really dislike the policies they are trying to shove down user's throats as the norm... namely:

* Subscription fees for online
* Piecewise console sales (HDD, wireless network adaptor, controller recharge pack, HD-DVD addon, proprietary HDD, etc.), which add up fast.
* Low-quality hardware that's lucky to outlast its warranty, and that may damage your DVDs, games, etc.
* Lackluster backwards compatibility that requires purchasing the add-ons listed above to utilize.
* Heavy handed "theft" of cross-platform titles, turning them into 360 2nd-party exclusives, denying the consumer's right to choose which platform they prefer the title on.
* Limited 1st-party support.
* "Classic" ugly Microsoft user interface concepts (NXE).

Besides my issues with the controller, and the low-grade of the hardware (which is a major factor -- I want to be able to play games for a while after my warranty expires, if I treat my hardware well!) , the listed reasons are the main reasons I prefer my PS3, and wish Sony well.  

Microsoft sucks.  I would prefer they stay away from gaming -- they're only in the console market to protect their other interests, and that doesn't benefit the gamer in any way.  They don't even care about competing, and upping the gaming quality bar, as much as making sure the other guy can't compete with Windows.  Lame.

Not a huge MS fan either but some of your reasons dont hold up.  Lackluster BC is not true in my opininon and stealing exclusives isnt true the only reaosn PS2 had so many exclusives is because they had a monopoly last gen welcome to competetion

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

Just Microsoft, maybe Ubisoft a little but for their kiddie casual games

Groucho said:

I'll be the first to say it: Microsoft.

I really dislike the policies they are trying to shove down user's throats as the norm... namely:

* Subscription fees for online
* Piecewise console sales (HDD, wireless network adaptor, controller recharge pack, HD-DVD addon, proprietary HDD, etc.), which add up fast.
* Low-quality hardware that's lucky to outlast its warranty, and that may damage your DVDs, games, etc.
* Lackluster backwards compatibility that requires purchasing the add-ons listed above to utilize.
* Heavy handed "theft" of cross-platform titles, turning them into 360 2nd-party exclusives, denying the consumer's right to choose which platform they prefer the title on.
* Limited 1st-party support.
* "Classic" ugly Microsoft user interface concepts (NXE).

Besides my issues with the controller, and the low-grade of the hardware (which is a major factor -- I want to be able to play games for a while after my warranty expires, if I treat my hardware well!) , the listed reasons are the main reasons I prefer my PS3, and wish Sony well.  

Microsoft sucks.  I would prefer they stay away from gaming -- they're only in the console market to protect their other interests, and that doesn't benefit the gamer in any way.  They don't even care about competing, and upping the gaming quality bar, as much as making sure the other guy can't compete with Windows.  Lame.

Some of those points aren't really valid IMO.

Point 1: I guess it depends on opinion. I don't mind paying for the online service. It has a fair amount of more functionality over PSN. Whether it's worth $50 depends on the person. It can also be found much cheaper than $50 if you look around.

Point 2: Some see it as money gouging, other's see it as choice. Again, it depends on the person. I personally liked having the options. I didn't have to invest in HD-DVD and I don't need wireless so that saved me some money for Live (ha!) right there. Having said that, I'm also glad I helped Blu Ray win by investing in a PS3.

Point 3: At the start of the lifetime I agree - the hardware was extremely shoddy. That's why I waited for the Falcon chipset. Damaging DVD's? I don't have a problem with that. Most reports of damaged disks I've heard of were because people were stupid enough to move it while the disc was spinning inside.

Point 4: The only add-on you need is the hard drive - And if one really wanted to get the most out of the system one would invest in a hard drive model from the get-go.

Point 5: That's business. They may seem like an evil corporation for doing so but they're simply doing what makes them money. If I worked at a company I'd do what I could to maximize revenue and gain market share as well. It would mean omre money for me. I'm not sure anyone would do differently.

Point 6: I agree with this one. MS is really hurting themselves by not supporting their first party developers (as few as they may be) in utilizing the strengths uniquely found in the 360's hardware (unified memory architecture and unified shader/texture pipelines). Sony and Nintendo are doing a great job here by discovering their system's weaknesses and mitigating them through the strengths.

Point 7: Again, opinion. I personally still use the Dashboard because I couldn't care less about the extra fluff and I like to get straight to the gaming, but there are people out there that enjoy it.

MS has introduced a lot to the gaming scene. They've accelerated the online sector in consoles that has brought us great things from Sony and Nintendo (WiiWare and Home and PSN, etc.), they're trying to make indy gaming development a more streamlined process (there's a whole bunch of arguments to be had on this topic, I know.), their integration with Windows and the Zune *should* bring new things to the table (who knows whether it will). I'm not discrediting Sony or Nintendo of any of their innovations. All 3 have done a great job of expanding what "Gaming" is in the last few years. I'm just trying to shed some light on what you see as Microsoft's lack of "benefit[-ting] the gamer".

To answer the OP's question, the only gaming oriented company I dislike is Activision. Despite EA being hated by many, I really think they've made great changes. Not only through Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, but also by supporting their other games through frequent updates and new add-ons (Burnout Paradise, the reinvention of Fifa and NHL 09, etc.). Activision on the other hand... I could go on for a few more essays so I'll stop here. lol

Sorry for the wall of text. I just wanted to play "devil's advocate" for a bit.

Microsoft: Gold Only members can download some Demo's Silver members cant. they pretty much rip everyone off with XBL

Nintendo: Shitty game regulations

Sony: Promotion of their games suck big time. Or they promote one game way too much.

S-E: Their Delays

Unisoft: Lazy programmers

EA: Same deal with Ubisoft

Besthedia: Their programming sux, way too buggy to be release some games yet they do anyways

EA & Ubisoft

Nintendo.

Wiifit, wiisports, wii... = wrong

Gears of War, Mass effect, MGS, Killzone, FFXIII, Alan Wake= right