By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So, who is picking up Dawn of War II Today!?!?

Download via Steam will be available in less than 2 hours. As a big RTS fan this, StarCraft II and Halo Wars are probably my 3 most anticipated PC (Halo Wars, for my 360) titles this year, (that is if SC2 actually comes this year). So, that being said, who here is picking up this title. Comments, gripes, ect.....

Around the Network

The fact that base building is non-exsistant in single player and you have one campaign only playable as Space Marines (even tho i'm a marine player) sucks ass. I hate this game. Real 40k is much better.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

@ NintendoMan.

I agree with you on many aspects regarding the single player campaign, however, the MP looks promising. It is really tough for me because I have several titles next month I am looking to pick up on console (RE5, SFIV), so I am looking for some support here..........:(.

Thank you for your opinion.

I really want this game. Where is Shio, I need some feedback from him also?.......

I would recommend picking it up because it''s likely to be a very good game, the first one certainly was.

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I loved the first game, I have 2 copies of DoW1 + 2 expansions. The overall design of the original game promoted fast-pacing, and so many matches ended before 5 minutes passed.

Haven't tried DoW2's Beta, so I can't tell you help you. The best thing to do right now is try the Open Beta of the game that should be available in a couple of hours or so on Steam, but keeping in mind that it's still a beta and the game's not completely finished yet.

I won't be able to try it because unfortunately I'm too busy at the time.

What Relic is saying about the campaign is interesting though:

# Non-Linear Single Player Campaign - Command an elite strike force, choosing from a variety of playable races and play through that race's unique storyline, developing the skills and abilities of your squads and commander as you progress through the game.

# Co-Op Multiplayer - Play through the entire single player campaign co-operatively with a friend, at any point in the game, anytime.

Around the Network

Thanks for the info Shio, appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to take the plunge, and with my enjoyment regarding the first entry, I don't think I will be disappointed. This should hold me over until SC2 is released.

Isnt the full game available today, or just the open beta? Steam said that the game is released today, but I might be mistaken.........

Not sure about download but I think the full game launches on Feb 23 at retail so Steam would be very early. Feb 23 is also day of release for Futurama Into The Wild Green Yonder.

NintendoMan said:
Not sure about download but I think the full game launches on Feb 23 at retail so Steam would be very early. Feb 23 is also day of release for Futurama Into The Wild Green Yonder.

THe game is coming out 19th Feb for both Retail and Digital.

However, today is the launch of Dawn of War 2's Multiplayer Open Beta, so anyone can try the game's multiplayer before the game comes out.

OPEN BETA? bah, didn't know about it, I'm downloading it now... :D

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

I was in the closed beta, so I can safely say that people who complaint about base building are just whining. The main difference is that squads are the ones receiving upgrades which makes it imperative to keep your squads alive. On the flipside, all the upgrades you give to your commander are permanent: no mater how many times he dies he will still have the upgrades.

Both teams headquarters have very durable turrets, and the bases are hidden behind natural chokepoints. So the only way to get into one's base is to send in a dreadnaugh to destroy the turrets. But the enemy gets a huge healing bonus while near their base so there should be no cases where one can rush and take you over.

Squad size has been reduced for Space Marines, 3 marines with a possibility of 1 extra as a sergeant. People complained about that, but it shows how marines are supposed to be this elite force capable of withstanding armies. I had my devastator marines take out multiple squads of tyranids.

Overall, Relic tried to make the game go away from cheap rushing builds and turtling because either will result in a quick defeat. They also tried to make the game more squad oriented, you cant get away with just attack move ordering anymore. You must make sure that your squad is in the cover, pointing the right direction and always be ready to retreat. I believe their changes are good because not only they are more true to the tabletop but they also give a fresher way to fight. I had enough of DOW1 combat from the original game to its 3 expansions.

Just last minute thing, make sure to fight a few custom games against a cpu to get the hang of controls. There is no tutorial (i am guessing single player would be teaching you how to play) so you have to learn through trial and error. Or play Company of Heroes for some of the basics.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3