By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's Talk About Zelda Games in the Zelda Mega Thread

Now I have the Full Moon cello.

Man, this game really gives you the runaround to progress. Good times.

Around the Network

So I was playing Phantom Hourglass, and it occurred to me that it used every single part of the DS' controls which were unique to it - you could play the entire game with the stylus and nothing else (assuming you tap the microphone with the stylus at appropriate times). That's kind of amazing to me. Several mechanics relied entirely on the DS' unique strengths, and it ended up being a game which could not be played on any other system (thanks to the use of two screens).

What I'm getting at here is that the Zeld team knows how to use the DS' hardware unlike any other development team in the business, and how to make it part of both the narrative and the mechanics of the game, intrinsically, even to the exclusion of traditional play styles.

So the question that comes to mind is this:

What does that mean for Zelda Wii? Could they make a game which functions well and operates solely by using the Wiimote? Is the nunchuck necessary? What assumptions about movement in 3-D space would we be able to set aside, here?

Since I have nothing to bother about the current controls of Zelda games, I'd rather have a control mechanic similar to Twilight Princess. If they want to create an Action-Adventure controlled only with the Wiimote, they should create a new franchise for that in my opinion.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said:
Since I have nothing to bother about the current controls of Zelda games, I'd rather have a control mechanic similar to Twilight Princess. If they want to create an Action-Adventure controlled only with the Wiimote, they should create a new franchise for that in my opinion.

Work with me, work with me. Let's call it a hypothetical.

Khuutra said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Unless the camera was top down like all the handheld Zeldas walking would be really hard. >:3

CIHYFS?

Around the Network
BCrayfish said:
Khuutra said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Unless the camera was top down like all the handheld Zeldas walking would be really hard. >:3

Well.

That's probably true.

Even including the nunchuck, then. I'm wondering where exactly they could take this game in such a way that it couldn't be done on other consoles at all.

I Can't wait until the next Zelda. I hope they really innovate with this one. Zelda has always been great(except the CD-i games) but its been more of the same lately. I also think Wind Waker is underrated.

bongle said:
I Can't wait until the next Zelda. I hope they really innovate with this one. Zelda has always been great(except the CD-i games) but its been more of the same lately. I also think Wind Waker is underrated.

Wind Waker is generally underrated, but part of me thinking that comes from the fact that I actually liked treasure hunting, so the Triforce quest was a bit of a treat for me.

Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game.. I actually really enjoted the saailing in it so maybe thats why i like it more than others..

I just thought it had a great atmosphere..

Khuutra said:
bongle said:

Wind Waker is generally underrated, but part of me thinking that comes from the fact that I actually liked treasure hunting, so the Triforce quest was a bit of a treat for me.

Triforce hunting a treat? You got to be joking me, I found that so boring it was not funny and now that I've been reading through this thread i really want to go and play through all the 3d zeldas again which i might do over the weekend.

Pacman taught people to run around in dark rooms munching on pills while listening to repettive techno music and for that I somewhat idolise him.