By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Wars is important.

Halo Wars has been confirmed a gold seller (500k).

Around the Network

support keyboard and mouse like UT3 did on PS3 and all problems are solved for me.

blue-lady said:

Depending on the success (or otherwise) of this title, we may see RTS's find a genuine home on consoles.  Of course I don't mean this to the exclusion of the genre's existing home on PC's, but rather the games may see invigorated interest and sales in general if they find a standard to launch them on consoles.

Though I only expect Halo Wars to sell two million copies, and hope for three, what is more important is that the title is well-recieved.  By that I mean it receives generally high review scores (say eighty and above) and is well-respected amongst hardcore gamers.  I don't anticipate Halo Wars bringing RTS popularity to consoles as Halo brought FPS popularity to consoles, but I would hope for some measure of success.

Ever heard about two games named GoldenEye and Perfect Dark?

haxxiy said:
blue-lady said:

Depending on the success (or otherwise) of this title, we may see RTS's find a genuine home on consoles.  Of course I don't mean this to the exclusion of the genre's existing home on PC's, but rather the games may see invigorated interest and sales in general if they find a standard to launch them on consoles.

Though I only expect Halo Wars to sell two million copies, and hope for three, what is more important is that the title is well-recieved.  By that I mean it receives generally high review scores (say eighty and above) and is well-respected amongst hardcore gamers.  I don't anticipate Halo Wars bringing RTS popularity to consoles as Halo brought FPS popularity to consoles, but I would hope for some measure of success.

I own them both and adore them both.

But at the time they were the acception not the rule.

Halo paved the way for the broad popularity of FPS's on consoles, to the point that consoles are now a FAR larger FPS market than PC's (high budget anyway).

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
blue-lady said:

Depending on the success (or otherwise) of this title, we may see RTS's find a genuine home on consoles. Of course I don't mean this to the exclusion of the genre's existing home on PC's, but rather the games may see invigorated interest and sales in general if they find a standard to launch them on consoles.

Though I only expect Halo Wars to sell two million copies, and hope for three, what is more important is that the title is well-recieved. By that I mean it receives generally high review scores (say eighty and above) and is well-respected amongst hardcore gamers. I don't anticipate Halo Wars bringing RTS popularity to consoles as Halo brought FPS popularity to consoles, but I would hope for some measure of success.

yeah, but halo made console FPS mainstream.  try playing goldeneye now.  the controls are terrible.

I don't know, RTS really belong on the computer if you ask me.

Dystopian Delight said:
Ide rather not have the RTS genre get dumbed and slowed down like halo did to FPSes. There is a reason that they are complex and difficult, it should lend to the fact they are called strategy games after all.

RTS games are barely strategy games at all. Nothing that reflex-based, in context of strategy games, can be anything but casual.

@ Khuutra )

trying to be an elitist with oh so tactical turn based strategy games huh? nothing as relaxed as TBS games can be anything but casual j/k

Lafiel said:

@ Khuutra )

trying to be an elitist with oh so tactical turn based strategy games huh? nothing as relaxed as TBS games can be anything but casual j/k

I'm being intentionally ironic. I apologize if I came across as acidic.

A slowed down RTS game would just introduce the possibility of having greater strategic elements added into it. And yes, I'd argue that TBS games (which is what "SRPGs" are, I don't know why people call them that) are considerably deeper than RTSes where your APM (actions per minute) often is directly proportional to your ability to win games. I can't help it! I just see them as being deeper.