By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Paramount and Dreamworks backs HD-DVD exclusively!

I have an awful feeling Sony might just pull something out the hat soon , something tells me with so much at stake in the Blu ray format they might just trim that ps3 price again b4 xmas . Do not quote me but something tells me $399 is not far away , they might need a hand for blu ray .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Around the Network
mitsuhide said:
I say let there stay 2 competing formats until mid08 when the movies and players are cheap enough for mass market and then one of them dropout which will probably be HDDVD due to the studios backing Blu-ray and more movies being on Blu-ray.

It's actually a myth that Blu-ray has more studio support. As far as I know HD-DVD has the edge on studios backing it. There are great movies on both sides that wont see the transition until the format war is over. If you are into collecting movies right now, I'd go dual.

mitsuhide said:
Soriku,WiteoutKing and me are the Signiture Trifecta i cant just lightly trim my sig.I will trim it abit if you really want me too though.

I can't/won't MAKE you - but I can ask nicely...

Your console predictions can fit on 2 lines - not 10. And you do REALLY need to list the next games you are picking up? For all of the next 6 months? Why not limit it to the next 2-3 games you will pick up?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

ok I'm a bit late... I read page one of the post and half of page 2...

i have 2 question when was the last time Sony and co won a format war against toshiba and co ???

and who thinks that the real future of HD is DL or streamin on demand.....????

and about disney..... they do have the HD disc exclusiv BD.... but you can DL their movies in HD on XBL.... so is it really a closed deal with BR on the long run ???

Avalach21 said:
jmcoo7 said:
HappySqurriel said:
jmcoo7 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Do you think developers will continue to produce $20 Million games on the PS3 under the promise that when the PS3 hits mass market prices people will buy it?

The reason why the console wars always end quickly is because consumers choose their console, developers react to that choice, and it becomes impossible for the slower selling consoles to attract more consumers. Only somebody lacking any knowledge of videogames would say that the PS3 has more than a statistically small probability of outselling the Gamecube let alone the Wii.

The knowledge and logic in this place is becoming more fanboy orientated by the day , it is like a zoo . I am not even going to respond to this apart from saying i do not remember the ps having huge backing for a long while ah well please yourself stay blinkered and we will see after xmas 2008 how different things will look .

So, what did I say that was factually incorrect?

When has a console gone from being one of the worst selling consoles of all time, and been outsold by a wide margin by its competition, came back and lead a generation? That's right, NEVER!

When has a console taken an early lead and used this lead to gain third party support and crush their competition? Pretty much EVERY GENERATION!

The PS3 is selling worse than the Gamecube which means that third parties will likely start giving the PS3 Gamecube level support. This low level of support will likely hurt the PS3 much more dramatically than it hurt the Gamecube because the PS3 will stay at $400 or more  (unlike the $200 or less Gamecube) when its early life system sellers come out; which should cycle to lower than Gamecube level support ...

Hahahaha at least you make me laugh , total nonsense .

Reading your posts is so annoying.  What are you laughing at?  How can you claim nonsense when you have absolutely nothing supporting your case?

HappySquirrel is one of the wisest and most balanced posters I've come across on these forums.  I've seen him make the claim he is in this thread countless other times, and he always backs himself flawlessly.  I'm sure he will do so again.  What you need to understand is that there is a difference between predictions based on historical evidence and past trends, and predictions based on mere hope and wishful thinking.  Quit making yourself out to be such an ignorant fool.

Oh and im annoying and ignorant , well the funny this being a non fanboy considering i grew up with Nintendo and owned all consoles erm fair enough . Knowbody gives you the right to call me names or judge me ok least of all you ive grown up with this industry over 30 years , erm was actually having a laugh and not being all serious but hey do not forget to remove that chip eh might help us all . I am entitled to my opinion as much as the next person , thats why it is a forum .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Around the Network

we also have on one side blockbuster which said they are going for BR
and wallmarter which order milions of low price HD dvd players for christmas (can't find the news, well I didn't look for it again lol)

that's 2 big deal in both direction... one offering BR to rent only for HD format and the other selling low price HD dvd players

and in the middle netflix offering DL on demand

endimion said:

i have 2 question when was the last time Sony and co won a format war against toshiba and co ???

and about disney..... they do have the HD disc exclusiv BD.... but you can DL their movies in HD on XBL.... so is it really a closed deal with BR on the long run ???

1. CD.

2. That what MSFT want aswell (hence the moneyhats to Universlal, Paramount and Dreamworks)

3. They are tied in with BD on optical media.

Saiyar said:
endimion said:

1. CD.

2. That what MSFT want aswell (hence the moneyhats to Universlal, Paramount and Dreamworks)

3. They are tied in with BD on optical media.

CD wasn't a format war, it was (pretty much) a standard that everyone in the industry supported. Even though Sony was one of the partners with CD, as CD became the dominant format Sony attempted to undermine its success by being a heavy supporter of Digital Audio Tape and Mini Disc.

jmcoo7 said:
Avalach21 said:
jmcoo7 said:
HappySqurriel said:
jmcoo7 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Do you think developers will continue to produce $20 Million games on the PS3 under the promise that when the PS3 hits mass market prices people will buy it?

The reason why the console wars always end quickly is because consumers choose their console, developers react to that choice, and it becomes impossible for the slower selling consoles to attract more consumers. Only somebody lacking any knowledge of videogames would say that the PS3 has more than a statistically small probability of outselling the Gamecube let alone the Wii.

The knowledge and logic in this place is becoming more fanboy orientated by the day , it is like a zoo . I am not even going to respond to this apart from saying i do not remember the ps having huge backing for a long while ah well please yourself stay blinkered and we will see after xmas 2008 how different things will look .

So, what did I say that was factually incorrect?

When has a console gone from being one of the worst selling consoles of all time, and been outsold by a wide margin by its competition, came back and lead a generation? That's right, NEVER!

When has a console taken an early lead and used this lead to gain third party support and crush their competition? Pretty much EVERY GENERATION!

The PS3 is selling worse than the Gamecube which means that third parties will likely start giving the PS3 Gamecube level support. This low level of support will likely hurt the PS3 much more dramatically than it hurt the Gamecube because the PS3 will stay at $400 or more  (unlike the $200 or less Gamecube) when its early life system sellers come out; which should cycle to lower than Gamecube level support ...

Hahahaha at least you make me laugh , total nonsense .

Reading your posts is so annoying.  What are you laughing at?  How can you claim nonsense when you have absolutely nothing supporting your case?

HappySquirrel is one of the wisest and most balanced posters I've come across on these forums.  I've seen him make the claim he is in this thread countless other times, and he always backs himself flawlessly.  I'm sure he will do so again.  What you need to understand is that there is a difference between predictions based on historical evidence and past trends, and predictions based on mere hope and wishful thinking.  Quit making yourself out to be such an ignorant fool.

Oh and im annoying and ignorant , well the funny this being a non fanboy considering i grew up with Nintendo and owned all consoles erm fair enough . Knowbody gives you the right to call me names or judge me ok least of all you ive grown up with this industry over 30 years , erm was actually having a laugh and not being all serious but hey do not forget to remove that chip eh might help us all . I am entitled to my opinion as much as the next person , thats why it is a forum .

I don't care what you grew up with or who your grandpa is.

I have any right to call you whatever I want and judge you however I like.  Just as you said, I am entitled to an opinion, and you, in my opinion, are ignorant.

And what I'm trying to say is that a prediction based on historical facts and previous trends carries more worth than a prediction based on wishful thinking and hope.

Someone, maybe it was Happysquirrel, used this piece of logic I am about to present.

If dark clouds begin to consume the sky, the humidity of the air begins to increase, and we begin to hear thunder out in the distance, I can say "Boy I think it's going to rain, just look at the conditions outside."  You might say "Well, I wanted to play soccer today, so I don't think it's going to rain."  One prediction is based on facts and previous trends.  One is based on wishful thinking and hope.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
stof said:
Quick question: any Xbox owners out there going to go for the HD-DVD add on after hearing this news?

I'm still on the fence...

The closest I came to buying the addon was when 300 came out. But I'm still waiting to see how all of this plays out... no one wants to get stuck witha $200 add-on that can't play anything in a couple years.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)