By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your first RPG?

Chrono Trigger.

Third member of the Sonic Support Squad.  Member of the Fierce Fox Force.

Click Sonic for my main Youtube channel :D

Around the Network

Final Fantasy VII

largedarryl said:
griffinA said:
salaminizer said:

may I derail the topic? those that are saying Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger and other RPGs without random battles, were you able to play other RPGs WITH random battles easily?

I think that's one of the things in Final Fantasy which really put me down, when the rest of the game can't hold up, I really dislike the game. For example, I think FF IX is awesome, even with RB, I really liked everything else, from story to battle system. on the other hand, I just couldn't get into FF VII, the RB really puts me off and the rest of the game didn't get me to keep playing it.

No actually. I hate random battles. My first RPGs were Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, all of which were awesome games but they actually spoiled me on random battles for the most part. I take for granted the ability to see enemies on screen. I tried to play Final Fantasy IV and VI later than those games and liked them except I found the random battle tedious and stopped playing them. This is one of the reasons im looking forward to Tales of 10 more than Final Fantasy XIII.

Did you ever play The 7th Saga, there was a take on random battles that I loved.  I would relate to being a technically inferior version of Earthbound battles.

@Xen, I was simply stating that since FF X, I haven't really played any other RPG game that competes, other than Morrowind.

No, I haven't played 7th saga. But i'll certainly give it a try now...

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

err was Zelda 2 an action RPG? Or battle of Olympus?

For Jrpg (as FF) i guess the first one I played more than 2 hours was FF Legend 1 (GB).

Tryed dragon warrior earlier than that I believe but i didn't like it... that was before I tried FF Adventure (GB) which was really Seiken Densetsu :p and made me look for everything final fantasy =)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

griffinA said:
largedarryl said:
griffinA said:
salaminizer said:

may I derail the topic? those that are saying Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger and other RPGs without random battles, were you able to play other RPGs WITH random battles easily?

I think that's one of the things in Final Fantasy which really put me down, when the rest of the game can't hold up, I really dislike the game. For example, I think FF IX is awesome, even with RB, I really liked everything else, from story to battle system. on the other hand, I just couldn't get into FF VII, the RB really puts me off and the rest of the game didn't get me to keep playing it.

No actually. I hate random battles. My first RPGs were Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, all of which were awesome games but they actually spoiled me on random battles for the most part. I take for granted the ability to see enemies on screen. I tried to play Final Fantasy IV and VI later than those games and liked them except I found the random battle tedious and stopped playing them. This is one of the reasons im looking forward to Tales of 10 more than Final Fantasy XIII.

Did you ever play The 7th Saga, there was a take on random battles that I loved.  I would relate to being a technically inferior version of Earthbound battles.

@Xen, I was simply stating that since FF X, I haven't really played any other RPG game that competes, other than Morrowind.

No, I haven't played 7th saga. But i'll certainly give it a try now...

The 7th Saga is a type of game that is extremely challenging.  Without giving spoilers, the final boss in the game is not the hardest battle in the game.  There is only one way to avoid this battle, and it is only really avoidable by cheating (walkthrough).  This game gets even more difficult if you don't abuse your save game usage to avoid losing key game items.  I would actually suggest the 7th saga to anyone that enjoys turn based RPG's, but would like to see a non-team (sort-of) based gameplay.

Around the Network

Vandal Hearts for the PS1 is an RPG

^_^

Wizardry 1, for the PC.  Yeah I'm old.

played: zelda II
beaten: final fantasy V(fan translated)

I think I might have touched Dragon Warrior for NES but didn't care. The first RPG I actually got into was FF2 for SNES (which is really FF4).

Oh, unless we are counting Zelda 2.

Unfortunately my first RPG was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. No joke. The marketing in my comics and the budget price at KB Toys sold me and I think it turned me off of RPGs for at least the next five years. Awful, awful game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.