By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ps3 & Wii = long term support 360 =uncertain

mibuokami said:
rocketpig said:
Luney Tune said:
rocketpig said:
I find it interesting that no one has actually responded to my post. Sad. You would rather argue first party schedules over contemplating a new idea of how to finance games.

I hate this forum.

Maybe no one responded because what you say is not really true. "Outsourcing" is nothing new in gaming, and it's not specific to Microsoft in any way. EA has been publishing titles from indie developers for about as long as I can remember. The same is largely true for Sony/Nintendo.

"Outsourcing" is one small point I made in several paragraphs of posting.

The real point was whether MS's strategy of saving money through publishing and financing titles is sound.

But thanks for completely half-assing my point.

I really have no idea how much financial mitigation this type of practice actually achieve, but thinking logically one cannot help but feel that it is cheaper and more cost effective to do this.

That being said, I hope this isn't the future of game developer, I really appreciate Sony's effort to built up a large and comprehensive studio portfolio, the coming together of all these developers and the sharing of technique and talent has done wonders both for the studios and for the games that they produce.

I understand that their is a need for innovation and there should always be places for fledging studio to grow and innovate but at the same time, I hope for a balance and company like Level 5, who started out as a tiny developer but are now moving into publishing and much more ambitious projects (Digital Distrution Medium) can continue to happen.

@ Luny Tune: Both Ratchet and Resistence are Sony IP, Insomniac had signed a contract all the way back in 2002 ensuring of the former to boot.   

Thank you for realizing that there might be a future in this practice.

I also hope that this isn't the future, for Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, and even Viva Pinata might not exist if this was to happen.

Still, there's a future of gaming, and it's expensive. To discard Microsoft's thinking and believe it to be the death of the company is absurd given the nature of the business and the trends we see happening every day.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

This is by far one of the most illogical thread topics I have ever witnessed. LOL

It seems a lot of "intelligent" posts are fueled by console preference and bias.

Many posters have already disproved the rationale of the original topic, but I am just completely taken aback by complete failure of logic.

Lets not forget the fact that this generation is still early on and Microsoft has more than enough resources to really acquire and push first party development if it feels as though it's a strategic plan of action needed to secure a more comfortable withstanding position in the market.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

As long as 360 owners support 3rd party developers with their cash then 3rd party developers will support the 360 with their games. MS may not have as strong a 1st party stable as nintendo or sony, but that doesn't mean they won't get games.

rocketpig said:
mibuokami said:
rocketpig said:
Luney Tune said:
rocketpig said:
I find it interesting that no one has actually responded to my post. Sad. You would rather argue first party schedules over contemplating a new idea of how to finance games.

I hate this forum

Maybe no one responded because what you say is not really true. "Outsourcing" is nothing new in gaming, and it's not specific to Microsoft in any way. EA has been publishing titles from indie developers for about as long as I can remember. The same is largely true for Sony/Nintendo.

"Outsourcing" is one small point I made in several paragraphs of posting.

The real point was whether MS's strategy of saving money through publishing and financing titles is sound.

But thanks for completely half-assing my point.

I really have no idea how much financial mitigation this type of practice actually achieve, but thinking logically one cannot help but feel that it is cheaper and more cost effective to do this.

That being said, I hope this isn't the future of game developer, I really appreciate Sony's effort to built up a large and comprehensive studio portfolio, the coming together of all these developers and the sharing of technique and talent has done wonders both for the studios and for the games that they produce.

I understand that their is a need for innovation and there should always be places for fledging studio to grow and innovate but at the same time, I hope for a balance and company like Level 5, who started out as a tiny developer but are now moving into publishing and much more ambitious projects (Digital Distrution Medium) can continue to happen.

@ Luny Tune: Both Ratchet and Resistence are Sony IP, Insomniac had signed a contract all the way back in 2002 ensuring of the former to boot.

Thank you for realizing that there might be a future in this practice.

I also hope that this isn't the future, for Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, and even Viva Pinata might not exist if this was to happen.

Still, there's a future of gaming, and it's expensive. To discard Microsoft's thinking and believe it to be the death of the company is absurd given the nature of the business and the trends we see happening every day.

Ah but that is currently true and relevant for the HD console only. Right now the king of the hill is still Nintendo who are still very insular and have an extremely strong internal studios.

It will be interesting to see what direction Nintendo takes next, because you can bet your sweet dollars that they will be calling the shot at the starting block of the next gen race.