By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Switched to Linux, need help

Viper1 said:
Nickel, Envy and source should not even be needed at all. There is no reason the Snyaptic PM and Hardware Drivers shouldn't do the trick from the start unless he has some serious hardware problems or older ATi graphic cards (which he doesn't).

For future reference, how old is "older"?

Around the Network

Yes your right viper, but you'd be surprised how often 3D drivers fail under linux, especially if you have a non-plug and play monitor (i.e. anything over 8 years old), this is why i listed alternatives, this was the situation i had so i basically had some pretty hard lesssons when i started to dual boot xp and ubuntu.

edit: also if your graphics system crashes permanently (like it did in my case) there is a nice startup helper under a troubleshooting boot that'll give you the option to set your config files back (it'll say fix x server or something like it) to original settings so you can try again, my biggest advice though is to not give up, it's worth it.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Early X1000 series and before. Those cards are known to have some difficulties with Linux.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

thetonestarr said:

Some of the files I have to use are only available in .RPM format. I HAVE to figure out how to use them.

Anyhow, I couldn't find Envy NG, but in the process of looking for it, I learned about repositories and synaptic package management. And I've got most of the programs above installed now.

Told you guys I'm a noob.

Envy is the easiest way to install display drivers that I have discovered.  Use this in a console.

sudo apt-get install envyng-core
sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

You need to install both of them.  You can see the name of the parts by typing in:

sudo apt-get install envy

That will not install it, but rather tell you that you may mean envyng-core or envyng-qt

After that, you should see envyng under your accessories menu or somethin.  I think the command to start envyng is

sudo envyng -k

....if you cannot find it in the menu

Viper1 said:
Early X1000 series and before. Those cards are known to have some difficulties with Linux.

....X1300 would be one of those then, wouldn't it.

Around the Network
Senlis said:
thetonestarr said:

Some of the files I have to use are only available in .RPM format. I HAVE to figure out how to use them.

Anyhow, I couldn't find Envy NG, but in the process of looking for it, I learned about repositories and synaptic package management. And I've got most of the programs above installed now.

Envy is the easiest way to install display drivers that I have discovered.  Use this in a console.

You need to install both of them.  You can see the name of the parts by typing in:

That will not install it, but rather tell you that you may mean envyng-core or envyng-qt

After that, you should see envyng under your accessories menu or somethin.  I think the command to start envyng is

sudo envyng -k

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

do not use sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

thats the KDE alternative, and if your using staight ubuntu, your using gnome which is the GTK version.

thetonestarr said:

I just finally got fed up with Windows and decided to try my luck (again) with Linux.

This time, Ubuntu (8.10 - Intrepid Ibex) came with drivers that recognized my wireless NIC, so I didn't have to fight with getting my network to work. Additionally, the only videogames I play on my PC anymore are Steam games, and I've found ways to get those to work sufficiently as well. Not to mention, Valve has officially stated that they're working on a Linux Steam client (presently, I have to use Wine to run Steam... haven't tried it yet, still working on getting Wine up).

Anyways, anybody else an Ubuntu/Linux user?

I'm a serious Linuxn00b. Gimme some pointers on how to make the transition smooth. Lemme know what apps are a must-have. Show me what's up!

Valve has not offically announced steam for Linux. The likelyhood of Steam coming to Linux is very small at best.

Nickelbackro said:
Senlis said:
thetonestarr said:

sudo envyng -k

thats the KDE alternative, and if your using staight ubuntu, your using gnome which is the GTK version.

It just told me I have to install -qt. I ran the command he told me (sudo envyng -k) and it said that I don't have envyng-qt installed.

Will it hurt anything to just have all three installed?

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Nickelbackro said:
Senlis said:
thetonestarr said:

sudo envyng -k

It just told me I have to install -qt. I ran the command he told me (sudo envyng -k) and it said that I don't have envyng-qt installed.

Will it hurt anything to just have all three installed?

No their separate files with separate boot commands. When you install the GTK version just load it from the applications menu, it should be under system tools, it's just plain easier than the command line.

It wasn't in the applications menu until after I installed the QT version.

I've got that problem dealt with now anyways. I'm trying to get my computer set up now so I can stream to my Xbox.

SW-5120-1900-6153