By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Switched to Linux, need help

I just finally got fed up with Windows and decided to try my luck (again) with Linux.

This time, Ubuntu (8.10 - Intrepid Ibex) came with drivers that recognized my wireless NIC, so I didn't have to fight with getting my network to work. Additionally, the only videogames I play on my PC anymore are Steam games, and I've found ways to get those to work sufficiently as well. Not to mention, Valve has officially stated that they're working on a Linux Steam client (presently, I have to use Wine to run Steam... haven't tried it yet, still working on getting Wine up).

Anyways, anybody else an Ubuntu/Linux user?

I'm a serious Linuxn00b. Gimme some pointers on how to make the transition smooth. Lemme know what apps are a must-have. Show me what's up!

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

8.1?

Yeah. I was trying to edit that in when Firefox decided it needed a restart, and I figured the system needed a reboot anyhow.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to install my display drivers (ATI Radeon HD 2400). By the way things look, first I need XFree86-Mesa-libGL, libstdc++, libgcc, XFree86-libs, fontconfig, freetype, zlib, and gcc installed.

And in order to install THOSE, I need to be able to run .rpm files, apparently. Because those are designed for Redhat and Fedora Linux, and I'm running Ubuntu.

Man.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I'm also an Ubuntu nublet, and using XP right now so when I jump back i n it's going to be even worse. but if you're using an ATI card this wiki will help you:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Cheers, and welcome to the movement.

8.10 refers to the year and month the distribution was released October (10) 2008 (8)

My advice is never be afraid to google even the slightest problem, because of the community nature of linux and ubuntu, there is pretty much documentation on every problem and several great ways to fix it. It'll take some months to get the hang of it, but it's very rewarding

And about video support, usually in the device manager you can enable the restricted 3D drivers and that will install everything, however if that doesn't work there is a program called "envy ng" (it should be in the synaptic package manager) that'll auto-install the drivers and dependencies so you won't have to do any of that. Oh and if you have to download anything from online .deb files are your friend, but if you use a compressed archive (usually tar.gz) typefrom a terminal

ls (this is the directory command)

tar xzf (filename)

cd (folded just created)

./configure

make

sudo make install

you can get those working great

I've used several distros and Ubuntu is one of the best but a little hard in the beginning, Linux Mint (based on ubuntu) and Mandriva have had better auto setup for me anyway and have a slightly gentler learning curve. Right Now i use Ubuntu 8.04 becuase of a certain proprientary program not supporting webcam Video4Linux 2 and a driver set change with the newest 2.6.27 kernel update.

I've edited this a couple times for more clairity

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network

if you're using Ubuntu, don't bother with rpms

To install programs, use aptitude/apt-get

For example, to install gcc you'll run

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install gcc

If you don't know the exact package name of the program you're installing, use
$ apt-cache search , where program is the name of the program

Alternately, there's the Add/Remove programs program that does this all with a GUI.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

@ FilaBrasileiro

No. It is 8.10, not 8.1.

You know, as in year 2008, month 10 (October). Two versions of the Linux operating system Ubuntu comes out every year, that in month 4 (April) and 10 (October).

Some of the files I have to use are only available in .RPM format. I HAVE to figure out how to use them.

Anyhow, I couldn't find Envy NG, but in the process of looking for it, I learned about repositories and synaptic package management. And I've got most of the programs above installed now.

Told you guys I'm a noob.

SW-5120-1900-6153

sudo apt-get is a good way to install programs. There are also .deb files that install very easily. Most of the time easier than windows.

What kind of programs are you needing?

I sure am glad for the Package Manager, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do anything in Ubuntu whatsoever.