By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CES 2009: Blu-Ray US adoption rate vs CD/DVD/VHS/TV/Color TV/HDTV

Using the logic of that graph. The number of Digital Distribution capable devices in households wold blow that graph out of the water. Thus DD has a higher adoption rate then any other form of media.

Around the Network

maybe they should add IPOD to that chart n compare figures :)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

@ JaggedSac

Digital Distribution is very succesful, we already started online distribution of huge amounts of games and software in the early 90s (Aminet, at a time world's largest collection of freely distributable software for any computer system). Not everything was practical for everyone, so games and other content also sold on diskettes and CDs. Streaming and movie dowload offerings don't come close in quality and isn't preferred by most (prefer to own the content, on physical media with nice cover, etc).

MP3s, especially illegal downloads, steam, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Branko2166 said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:
PS3 sales sure are helping out ALOT. Almost makes those graphs worthless.

Yep, that's the issue. Since probably about 2/3 of the graph is PS3's the graph is almost useless. I want to see a graph that shows the sales of the actual discs. Cause we don't really know how many people are using the PS3 as a BD player, it is after all the successor to the most successful game console ever.

While your are correct when it comes to hardware, what ultimately maters most is the fact that disc sales are skyrocketing. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's standalone player or ps3 owners purchasing movies, just that they are buying them.

What the haters choose to not give credit is the content sales.  Because like gaming consoles, a player means nothing without content.  Also as the content sales goes up, it just gives more incentives for studios to continue to support Blu-ray.  Content sales are more important than the player sales.  If it's making enough money, it's worth the business venture for consumers.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

MikeB said:
BengaBenga said:
MikeB said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

Yep, that's the issue. Since probably about 2/3 of the graph is PS3's the graph is almost useless. I want to see a graph that shows the sales of the actual discs. Cause we don't really know how many people are using the PS3 as a BD player, it is after all the successor to the most successful game console ever.

Personally I have always stated that the PS3 is the main reason why Blu-Ray is outperforming DVD (which was hailed as the fastest adopted consumer tech!!). As you know movie sales outperform DVD as well, so it's a big factor and I think it will become an even bigger factor in the future. More PS3 owners will buy better HDTV, a slimline PS3 is likely to hit the market, etc.

Athough I agree, I disagree with your conclusions.

That's strange, cause I really don't make any conclusions, aside that you can't really say anything about the state of BD based on a graph that includes the PS3, without knowing how many PS3 users use it as a BD player. 

I don't agree that it's useless at all, PS3s are Blu-Ray capable devices. For instance not everyone was using SMS on their cellphones when introduced, but if you can't count them in hardware adoptation charts then you would have an install base of 0 units. SMS has been a huge success despite not everyone using this ability.

It's very likely a vast majority of PS3 owners will use the Blu-Ray movie playback feature, by renting or buying movies at some point. Disc sales are already very solid at this point of a new format's lifecycle (better than DVD, dwarfing VHS), the amount of Blu-Ray capable devices is very solid.

Considering everything, I would even say the bulk of more educated (on this topic) movie enthusiasts would rather pick a PS3 over the bulk of standalone players out there (from a quality and value perspective).

Unless you're absolutely against gaming, a PS3 for Blu-ray playback is usually your best bet.  Sound & Vision supports this.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
Branko2166 said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

While your are correct when it comes to hardware, what ultimately maters most is the fact that disc sales are skyrocketing. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's standalone player or ps3 owners purchasing movies, just that they are buying them.

What the haters choose to not give credit is the content sales.  Because like gaming consoles, a player means nothing without content.  Also as the content sales goes up, it just gives more incentives for studios to continue to support Blu-ray.  Content sales are more important than the player sales.  If it's making enough money, it's worth the business venture for consumers.

Yeah, content sales is the real story.  However, hardware sales is a measure of potential sales.  Right now, BD movies are still too high in price and attach rates show it.  It will be an issue solved with time.  I remember when VHS was $15 and DVD was $35.  With BD being about $30 and DVD being about $20, there is the issue of BD players being directly BC with DVD.  That's a double-eged sword.

Being and observer of formats, BD is following the pattern of a successful format rather than a failed format.  Falied formats don't usually make 10% penetration before they die off.  BD has already sold more in December alone in the US than Laserdisc did in the 20 years it was around.

With all of Hollywoood supporting it and big retailers like Walmart throwing their weight behind it, it's not going fail easily.  Even if MS and Toshiba are stubborn, they aren't the entire tech industry.  The only way I could see BD failing at this point is if Flash memory becomes exponetially cheaper to produce overnight.  Digital distribution is great for the rental market, but has a long way to go for purchase market.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Good news, Looks like Blu-ray is doing pretty well.

I'm out of the loop, is Blade Runner out on BR? Anyone?

Oooh the same old joke where they count all PS3's as Blu-ray players.

Too bad they're still way behind in disc adoption to DVD.

Which everyone ignores...

but hey it's cool.

Clearly sales of a semi related videogame system means more then sales of your actual movie format.

Star Scream said:
I'm out of the loop, is Blade Runner out on BR? Anyone?

Yes.

You could of just typed "Blade Runner Blu-ray" into google.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=blade+runner+blu+ray&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17167506929889525968&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=1&ct=result#ps-sellers