By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales dropping down in US. Why?

Sullla said:

If you want to look at this and say that the Wii is no longer in demand, or in decline, feel free to go ahead. But the data does not back up those assertions in the least.

Who saiid that? Do you even read the posts?

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:

"Maybe stockpiling seems like a bad idea for the Christmas season, which seems to start in October since Bush took over America"

Wait...what? Are you implying that since Bush was elected President of America, Christmas starts earlier...?

I think Bush is personally responsible for GTA IV getting delayed.  Think about it, it wasn't delayed before he was president, but then it was delayed while he was president.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

souixan said:

No, I'm implying that since Bush got elected President of America, the dollar was weakened vs every currency and average pay went down. On top I am implying more people buy on credit to which the stock market is also in poor shape(check it out) In addition sales have dropped vastly so stores start holiday promotion much earlier. That's what I'm implying, not placing blame simply using him as a marker for the statement I wasn't going to go deeper into it but that's the basic idea and any news channel will/should tell you basically the same stuff.

It was a simple statement meant as satire I'm sad that people don't think before they attack the statement which IS absolutly true. Christmas promotions seem to start 1 month earlier then they used to. I'm seeing back to school stuff in July, never used to see it till August. I saw Christmas displays last year DURING halloween, never used to see them till at least around Thanksgiving...I'm sure there's many factors in this but I'll be damned if a President who uses mass ammounts of money fighting a war isn't at least somewhat of a mark to why the dollar is being devalued(he's borrowing it..)

I'm not even going to bother with a point-by-point responce to this ridiculousness as this is a video game forum.

BUT, if you want to have an intelligent discussion about the US or global economy, perhaps you should read the Wall Street Journal or The Economist instead of relying on television.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Viper1 said:
Average pay went down? Where? Everyone I know has made more money each year since I got out of high school 12 years ago.

The weakening currency is partly his fault and largely the fault of the stupid illegal Federal Reserve. It's not even a government entity but it controls our money and is no longer backed by gold like it used to be.

Oh, and sales aren't really dropping as evidenced by Sullas great post.

Average real wages (real means adjusted for inflation) peaked in the early 70s. They've tended to fall or stay stagnant since then. The reason people haven't been getting poorer in a material sense during this trend is thanks to increasing technology making goods cheaper over this time peroid.

Your acedotal evidence gleaned from everybody you've known since high school probably has more to do with individuals climbing the corporate ladder than changes in real wages or inflation. I'm pretty confident that the average 30 year old is richer than the average 20 year old.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

elprincipe said:

This is probably a bad idea to continue this discussion, however...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/economy/

"Real After-Tax Per Capita Personal Income Has Risen By 11.4 Percent – An Average Of Over $3,400 Per Person – Since President Bush Took Office."

"Real Wages Rose 1.3 Percent Over The 12 Months Ending In June. This is faster than the average rate during the 1990s, and it means an extra $782 in the past year for a family with two average wage earners."

Of course, this is taken from the White House website; you may have a source that contradicts that, but it's what the government says.

Yeah, I wouldn't go looking to the White House for accurate economic data. "Real After-Tax Per Capita Personal Income Has Risen" is code for "Bush made a lot of tax cuts." Given that those tax cuts are a major reason for the huge deficit in the huge US Federal budget, it's kind of like me claiming my income went up $10,000 dollars this year because I took out a loan. Any accountant would slap me in the face for saying something that stupid.

Real wages quite possibly rose 1.3% in the last year. They also quite possibly dropped 1% the year before. This is the best chart for real wages I've been able to find:

http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/Wages+and+Benefits:+Real+Wages+(1964-2004)

Real wages made some nice gains in the late 90s, but they were pretty flat during Bush's first term. All well below the 70s peak.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Yeah, I wouldn't go looking to the White House for accurate economic data. "Real After-Tax Per Capita Personal Income Has Risen" is code for "Bush made a lot of tax cuts." Given that those tax cuts are a major reason for the huge deficit in the huge US Federal budget...

Yeah, the government just makes up everything dood! Diebold Halliburton Enron Katrina Guantanamo 9/11 conspiracy!

From the 07/16/07 Economist: "Yet they have one weapon: the surprising strength of tax revenues, which have cut the budget deficit far quicker than anyone expected. The latest projections from the Congressional Budget Office show a budget deficit perhaps as low as $150 billion (though it could be as high as $200 billion) at the end of the year, just over 1% of GDP—less than at the end of Mr Clinton’s first term."

I can't find the graph online but the CBO predicts the budget deficit will shrink dramatically over the next 3-4 years because of increased tax revenues.

B-b-but tax cuts by-definition evil right?? Jon Stewart said so on the Daily Show and he was totally sarcastic and pretentious and the audience laughed at his snarky comments so it must be true. A tax cut leading to... econmic growth... increased tax revenues... deficit reduction: that's unpossible! Unprecedented in the annals of economic history!

Again, why are people discussing economics in a video game forum? But as long as they are... people should go subscribe to The Economist and rent The Commanding Heights.  But if you're not an expert you can always leave the economics to U of Chicago Nobel Prize Winners.

Date:
08/14/2007

Debt held by US Public:

Debt Held by US Government:

Total Debt:

(Source: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np)

Wages a little up; debt massively up.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

The point of stockpiling for christmas?

If there's demand and you can't deliver, only about 1/2 of your potential customers is going to wait for your product to be available again. The other half is going to choose a product of the competition. This way, you're making money for your competitors (and giving away marketshare).

People are ready to buy millions of game consoles for christmas, and Nintendo would be complete idiots if they didn't make sure they have millions ready for sale. Don't know much about economics, but this I remember.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

... but here's an optional second answer, just for kber81, since he's getting annoyed:

Wii sales are declining, stockpiling is not a possibility, demand is over, fad has passed, PS3 wins.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Game_boy said:

Now remembering this debt crisis is somewhat recent and that Clinton had a government surplus, I would argue the net value of each person has dropped severely: wages a little up; debt massively up.

"net value of each person"? Did you just invent that term?

This "debt crisis"* is somewhat recent??

Which specific years was there a balanced budget during the Clinton administration? Was it for the entire eight years? Or was it only after a Republican Congress was swept into power and enacted The Fiscal Responsibility Act in early 1996 as part of their Contract with America?

And are you just going to ignore all external events and just link everything to the US President (not even the legislature as shown above)? The dot com boom and burst bubble? The Asian financial crisis? 9/11? And of course the Chairman of the Federal Reserve has no control over the US economy, right?

*("debt crisis" is in quotes because that's not the unnecessarily alarmist term I would use. Plus there is not even agreement on whether debt is a bad thing: Some argue a surplus could result in a deflationary recession as the money supply contracts. See also "Learning to Love Debt". I don't fully agree with all of it, but it's another perspective...)