By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Question about overall lifetime sales...

OK, this might an extremely stupid question but I was wondering...

Let's pretend that a Wii title was released in June of 2008. That title is not a hot seller and struggles to sell. But it shows some legs and by the time June of 2009 rolls around, it has sold over a million.

My question is; does a title still be considered a success even if it took a year for it to reach a million? Can the company and develop still reap profit even if the title is a slow seller?

I wonder because there are some titles that didn't do enough profit at launch, but reach a million in a year. I wonder if the company can still see profit or if its too little/too late.

Once again, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Around the Network

success

yup it becomes a success. Remember for a title to be success and turn profit on the we it needs to sell 300k and as low as in the 10k to 100k low budget game. Nintend games rarely drop in price like u usually see other games and tend to have legs. I gave up on calling a wii game bomb after initinial launch a while after finding titles after titles that were perceived to be bomb to be huge success 2 months later.

I TAKE NO SIDES

I confess that the game that had me wondering this was EA's "Boogie". When this was released it was called the biggest flop on the Wii yet, that EA lost a lot of money on it and that people weren't ready to put down 60 bucks for a Wii title. Yet, according to the sales estimates its at half a million. So if the game is a flop can it still make money for EA?

Possibly. To us 'forum people' selling a million would be a success but for the publisher/developer I imagine they would call it a success as long as its profitable irrespective of sale numbers.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

Sleeper hit

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

yeah to us and most people on forum we tend to look at the first few weeks and it dosnt sell well we call it a flop, but it seems that the ones we call flop ended up making money though since the legs on the wii seems to defy logic only way i could explain it.

I TAKE NO SIDES

i would say a success

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815