By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray continues its European dominance.

PSUNews: " Blu-ray sales continue to surge within Europe as the industry sees a 400% growth in the month of December over the same period of time last year. According to Official Charts Company data, Blu-ray discs sold over 1.5 million copies during the month, which is a substantial increase from a year ago.

As expected, The Dark Knight from Warner Brothers, led the way in sales with an unprecedented 281,000 copies. It's no surprise that the best movie from last year was also the best Blu-ray title as well. We're sure a ton of our readers picked this one up or got it for Christmas, right?

The numbers, which are surely impressive, were achieved with the closing of large stores such as Woolworths and Zavvi. Of course, don't forget though that HD-DVD was still fighting for its life this time last year as well. We're sure that played its part in the large increase of sales. Despite that, it's safe to say that the Blu-ray format is alive and kicking"

--> Main Source --> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/20106/21130/home-entertainment-market-alive-kicking.phtml

And it continues, nice.

Around the Network

1.5 million for the month of December is outright awful. 

HOw many DVDs sold?  20 million?

Dominance is too strong a word for what is still a niche format. Perhaps dominance will come when Blu-Ray price is near DVD prices.

Now for the article... Does that mean Blu-Ray is selling much better in USA than Europe? Didn't The Dark Knight sell 600k first day in USA?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

good stuff, @ TheBigFatJ - DVD has been on the market alot longer and has more titles and players sold, so its not a fair comparison, compare this to DVDs second xmas would be more fair, this is actually very good for blu-ray.

The numbers dont seem so good ,but the year over year increase is encouraging .

Around the Network

Is this all of Europe or just the UK?  The original article mentions Mamma Mia being the fastest-selling DVD ever in the UK.  Also 1.5 million seems awfully low for the whole continent.

EDIT: After looking around, I found that 462k blu-ray movies were sold in November in the UK.  So this must be the UK only.

Dominance over...what? Certainly not DVD.

Regardless, these are healthy sales and it certainly shows that what many people consider to be a luxury can grow despite tough economic times.

NJ5 said:
Dominance is too strong a word for what is still a niche format. Perhaps dominance will come when Blu-Ray price is near DVD prices.

Now for the article... Does that mean Blu-Ray is selling much better in USA than Europe? Didn't The Dark Knight sell 600k first day in USA?

Estimated HD TV penetration:

Western Europe: 20%

North America: 36%

It would certainly make sense for Blu-Ray to be selling better in NA.

Yakuzaice said:

Is this all of Europe or just the UK?  The original article mentions Mamma Mia being the fastest-selling DVD ever in the UK.  Also 1.5 million seems awfully low for the whole continent.

It seems you're right, this is UK only although the OP text makes it seem like Europe numbers. The original article mentions the BVA which is apparently the British Video Association.

In that case, it's harder to make the comparison with USA numbers.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Lol dont blame me about the "Domiance" thing it was PSU's title article even i thought it was silly.

None-the less though its doing well.