By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For Grownups Only: Think Wii is a Monster - Meet Papa!

ha yea I don't feel like talking politics either. My idea of politics is that each state should be in charge of its own rules/laws ect, while the government just prints money and protects us with the Military. If you don't like some rule in California, move to Arizona. Kind of like some states have death penalty and others don't. The government shouldn't ever be able to pass laws forcing all states to accept or deny death penelty, abortion, gun control or whatever else. It should be up to states.

Also why do we the U.S. get involved in every damn thing in the World. Let other countries settle their own disputes. If it is shown to be a threat to us then deal with it, but if we go to war and win like in Iraq don't rebuild it for THEM. Never in history do the victors ever help the loosers rebuild. You take that country for your own. But whatever. Let us be some pushovers. All civilizations always fall sooner or later. Rome, Egyptions, Mongol Empire and many others all fell. No civilization is immune to time. Someone will take the thrown from us sooner or later. Not saying in my time.

But man I would have loved to have bought nintendo share 2 years ago.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
ha yea I don't feel like talking politics either. My idea of politics is that each state should be in charge of its own rules/laws ect, while the government just prints money and protects us with the Military. If you don't like some rule in California, move to Arizona. Kind of like some states have death penalty and others don't. The government shouldn't ever be able to pass laws forcing all states to accept or deny death penelty, abortion, gun control or whatever else. It should be up to states.

Also why do we the U.S. get involved in every damn thing in the World. Let other countries settle their own disputes. If it is shown to be a threat to us then deal with it, but if we go to war and win like in Iraq don't rebuild it for THEM. Never in history do the victors ever help the loosers rebuild. You take that country for your own. But whatever. Let us be some pushovers. All civilizations always fall sooner or later. Rome, Egyptions, Mongol Empire and many others all fell. No civilization is immune to time. Someone will take the thrown from us sooner or later. Not saying in my time.

Fan of the Confederacy huh?

Nice commentary. Thanks for sharing. I wish Nintendo would use some of that money to buy some of the really good but financially troubled developers like Factor 5.

JaggedSac said:
irstupid said:

ha no, why would i be a fan of the confederacy.  To me the more the governemnt passes nationwide laws teh closer we are getting to being a communist based country. 

And there is something different about allowing a death penalty and allowing slavery.  You can't compare Owning People to anything else.  Obviously there have to rules about owning people, racial equality, sexual equality, or human rights.  But that is basically in the constitution already.

Of course it's much harder to buy a company then just having the money to do it.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
JaggedSac said:
irstupid said:

ha no, why would i be a fan of the confederacy.  To me the more the governemnt passes nationwide laws teh closer we are getting to being a communist based country. 

And there is something different about allowing a death penalty and allowing slavery.  You can't compare Owning People to anything else.  Obviously there have to rules about owning people, racial equality, sexual equality, or human rights.  But that is basically in the constitution already.

Slavery was not the main reason for the Confederacy.  It was state's rights.

kowenicki said:
Sorry Sony fans... Ninty has a MUCH larger market cap and enough cash to buy huge chunks of Sony... not that it would.. but in theory it could.

Sony just isnt that 'big' any more. Lots of companies that make sod all.

What could happen, if Sony faulters big time, and gets out of the business, is that Nintendo cherrypicks some of Sony's videogame franchises, and studios, and adds them under their banner.  Like, grab the IP to Uncharted and Gran Turismo, for example.

JaggedSac said:

Slavery was not the main reason for the Confederacy.  It was state's rights.

Ok, I'm sure they used the state's rights as a more justified reason.  But it still mainly came down to they wanted the states to be able to decide on slavery, which is wrong.  No Government, state, Nation should be able to make rules/laws that allow any ownership of another person.  It is just wrong.

Grampy said:

This is not to add fuel to the fanboy flame war which I find childish and boring.  So children go outside and play so grownups can talk.. Obviously I, like everyone else, bought the console that appealed to me. I'm not married to it, Nintendo doesn't send me a check, or even a Christmas card. I just prefer motion control, but so what. You like what you like for your own reason.

But here is some interesting food for thought about what a mismatch of companies we are dealing with..

Sony is cutting 8,000 jobs out of 160,000 because they are losing money and are out of cash.

According to Fortune Magazine that 8,000 is twice Nintendo's total payroll. The company's 3,400 employees generated $8.26 billion in revenue in 2007, or $2.5 million each.

While exchange rates and fiscal calendars complicate comparisons to U.S. companies, let's do it anyway. Over roughly the same time frame, Microsoft employees generated $624,000 each.

That's lean and mean competition.

But Sony is so much bigger , right?  Maybe.

In March, 2007 Phil Harrison was boasting "Sony Computer Entertainment Studios employs some 2,200 developers across 14 different studios... it has more programmers, artists, audio technicians and designers than Microsoft and Nintendo combined."
Ubisoft, with a ‘technical workforce' of 2,400 sits in second place, while Electronic Arts with 5,500 comes in first.

That's big alright.

But just 6 months later Forbes announced the Nintendo's market capitalization had just passed Sony at $52.9 Billion US. At the time it flip-flopped the same day but it was the tip of the iceberg.

By October, 2007 it was a done deal. Reuters  announced: Nintendo zipped past 10 trillion yen ($85 billion) in market value on blistering demand for its red-hot game machines, having almost tripled in value since launching the Wii a fivefold increase in the past two years. Nintendo's market capitalisation is almost double that of Sony, whose total revenue is more than eight times as big as Nintendo's.

Nintendo is now Japan's third-most valuable listed company behind automaker Toyota Motor Corp and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Japan's largest bank, and analysts see the game machine maker's shares setting more high scores.

As of Dec 31the three companies stacked up like this in total capitalization:

Microsoft  (the whole company) = $ 172 Billion US
Sony (The whole company) = $22 Billion US (less than half  its value in June, 2007)
Nintendo = $54 Billion US (even after the major hit stocks took, higher than June 2007)

Now looking at Ninetendo's latest financial report they are also sitting on uncommitted CASH Reserves of $18 Billion US and that amount has undoubtedly increased substantially since then.

So the take home message is that tiny Nintendo, once a company that made playing cards, could actually buy all of Sony, every single share for CASH - not borrowing one red dime. There's a creative solution to the console wars. They would be unlikely to have any desire to do so, but if anyone thinks they are going to beat Nintendo now by outspending them, or out research and developing them, or thinks they can back them down in a price war better have somewhere upwind of $25 Billion US play money. Microsoft might have that much but I'm not betting on it and also, video games are a sideline. Games is all Nintendo does.

Talk about the 500 lb gorilla. 

In yellow is what I'm talking about...

So Nintendo could purchase Bluray right now, huh? That's an interesting idea....

The reason Nintendo is so strong, is because they DON'T buy these developers. Its the key difference between them and everyone else - and its *very* smart.

Every studio purchased adds a LOT to the yearly, base cost of the company. Its money that has to be covered regardless of what they are doing, how well they are doing, what games they are working on - etc.

Its much smarter to keep these studios on a "work for hire" program - you contract them out for a single project - they can't dick you around. If they miss milestones, the project is pulled - and the company falls over. As a result, the company works hard (extra hard), and does what they need to do in order to meet the milestones, and get the game done.

A studio has to truly excel, and fit in perfectly with Ninty's vision of the future for them to consider purchasing them outright. This is exactly what companies like Silicon Knights were let go - instead of picked up.

You can be sure SK have sucked up a lot more cash then they have given back with the release of Too Human - and thats just one example.

Nintendo's "development dream" is currently coming true - get 5-10 people to make a game, for no more than 2 years - then sell 10m copies over 5+ years, and make a heap of money. Brain Training at its best.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099