By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

A memo to everyone who has said "this makes me sad."

While you may think that Wii Sports sales have made you sad, this is an illusion. You were already sad; Wii Sports sales have merely revealed to everyone else how sad you are, via your reaction to said sales.

Anyways, I'm waiting for Wii Sports to pass the combined record...

Super Mario Bros. 47.57M
40.24M for NES
5.07M for GBC
2.26M for GBA

Furthermore, if you take an extremely loose definition of what constitutes a distinct game, then Pokemon RGB + Pokemon Yellow ("Special Edition") + FireRed/LeafGreen ("remake") is somewhere well above 55m... That number is still a few months away for Wii Sports.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

It makes me happy :)

Also makes me feel good to see so many haters cry. Delicious.

You are forced to buy Wii Sports with the Wii system because there is no other bundle.

Wii + Wii Sports is officialy the only option(well at least in Europe)

If you could choose only the Wii without Wii Sports, I would have said okay but I can't accept this.

I am a Wii owner too(and I love it) but I hate that crap like Wii sports, play,fit, music...

It could be the most owned game but not the best selling. It is not sold separately dear friends!!

Systems owned: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP N64 Wii iPhone
Cheebee said:
The_vagabond7 said:
That is pretty awesome. Super Mario Bros put NES's into everyone's homes and changed the face of videogames. And it's only fitting that Wiisports yet another Nintendo effort put's wii's into everybody's homes and again changes the face of videogames.

This.

agree!

Ismailxp said:
You are forced to buy Wii Sports with the Wii system because there is no other bundle.

Wii + Wii Sports is officialy the only option(well at least in Europe)

If you could choose only the Wii without Wii Sports, I would have said okay but I can't accept this.

I am a Wii owner too(and I love it) but I hate that crap like Wii sports, play,fit, music...

It could be the most owned game but not the best selling. It is not sold separately dear friends!!

Japan says hello. See above posts. Its heading towards being the biggest selling title for the last 10 years - if not longer. Of course, its oh so convenient to use the "Its bundled, hence it doesn't count".

And as for "I love the Wii" yet "I hate that crap like Wii sports, play,fit, music" - you don't sound like the average Wii owner... if you are one at all. What Wii games DO you like?

I'll ROFL if the Zelda is called "WiiZelda" :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

@shams Well I always liked Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario games , Donkey Kong, (Nintendo's REAL franchises)

Zelda is my favourite.. it is awesome..

But I'm more of a PS fan. So I am 30% ninty 70% Sony fan.

Systems owned: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP N64 Wii iPhone
The_vagabond7 said:
darklich13 said:
What about Minesweeper?

Now don't start. That's a stupid comparison and you know it. How many people have been at best buy, saw mine sweeper and said "Damn, I gotta get one of these PCs"?

People will complain, hem and haw, but wii sports has been on the Oscars, The nightly news, sitcoms, commercials, magazines, it's in bars, night clubs, theme parks, all the hell over the place. Fanboys even argue that people only buy wii for wiisports and then never play their wii again, but when it comes time to give credit to wii sports it's just a demo and people aren't buying their wii's for that crap. People see wii sports and are blown away by it, and must have it, then go out and buy a wii. I won't defend wiiplay because that is a controller with a game, but wii sports is the reason for the wii's success and it deserves every bit of credit that it gets.

That doesn't really mean anything. You can't just create arbitrary conditions. If you start doing that, then a number of games have sold far more than Wii Sports.

Tetris - Across all platforms, I'm sure it's well ahead of Wii Sports.

As Erik said, Pokemon RGB, Yellow, and Fire Red/Leaf Green with over 55 million.

Free Cell, Chip's Challenge, Minesweeper, Pinball and basically every other game that's ever been a part of Windows Entertainment Pack.

Pong and various remakes.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:
The_vagabond7 said:
darklich13 said:
What about Minesweeper?

Now don't start. That's a stupid comparison and you know it. How many people have been at best buy, saw mine sweeper and said "Damn, I gotta get one of these PCs"?

People will complain, hem and haw, but wii sports has been on the Oscars, The nightly news, sitcoms, commercials, magazines, it's in bars, night clubs, theme parks, all the hell over the place. Fanboys even argue that people only buy wii for wiisports and then never play their wii again, but when it comes time to give credit to wii sports it's just a demo and people aren't buying their wii's for that crap. People see wii sports and are blown away by it, and must have it, then go out and buy a wii. I won't defend wiiplay because that is a controller with a game, but wii sports is the reason for the wii's success and it deserves every bit of credit that it gets.

That doesn't really mean anything. You can't just create arbitrary conditions. If you start doing that, then a number of games have sold far more than Wii Sports.

Tetris - Across all platforms, I'm sure it's well ahead of Wii Sports.

As Erik said, Pokemon RGB, Yellow, and Fire Red/Leaf Green with over 55 million.

Free Cell, Chip's Challenge, Minesweeper, Pinball and basically every other game that's ever been a part of Windows Entertainment Pack.

Pong and various remakes.

You want to get me some sales figures on Minesweeper? Or pong? No? Then Wiisports will be the best selling game on record.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

it will be a great day to be a gamer. it symbolize the end of the niche that gaming was and the walls that have been broken thanks in large part to nintendo.

hello how are you.

It makes me a little sad that Mario won't be number one, but oh well.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089