By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone watching Flash Gordon tonight?

I guess since it's on in 5 minutes if people are going to watch it they're likely at their tvs right now :)  I'm kinda in the mood for cheesy sci-fi, hopefully it doesn't disappoint. :)

*Edit: I'm talking about the new tv series on Sci-Fi not the movie although it'd be awesome if they could use Queen's Flash Gordon theme but I doubt they will :/

Around the Network

Hmm.. It was cheesy and kinda bad but I'll probably still watch the next few episodes anyways. It's too bad that they chose to change things that could have made the pilot so much better (I assume they did it for budget reasons) and maybe for it to work as a tv show.

For example in other versions of Flash Gordon he's a legendary football player that leads his team to victory against overwhelming odds (a theme that makes sense in the story) but in this version they make him a marathon runner who lives with his mom.

Anyways the women in it are hot so I guess that counts for something ;) Also his mother looks about 10 years older than him which is a little distracting.

I guess there's no Sci-Fi channel viewers here or they have lives and are doing other things on a Friday night :/

I found it depressing. The new series has nothing to do with the original story. Really cheesy and low budget stuff, unfortunately... Edit: I stop watching it after the first hour. The stargate thing was too much... It manages to be worst than the campy version from the 80s... Hell, it's even worst than the serial from the 30s... At least that version is funny...

Yeah I should have read the reviews before watching it... It got a 38 on Metacritic. A reviewer from the New York Post even apologized to Flash Gordon fans for how horrible the tv series is even though she had nothing to do with the show, oh and she gave it a 0% (no stars).

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08102007/tv/lost_in_space_tv_linda_stasi.htm

How the heck can it be worse than the 80s version? That would be like making Battlestar Galactica worse than Galactica 1980.

Around the Network

yeah, i saw a 1980 episode of Battlestar Galactica and if that was normal for a show, why was the 1980s considered the golden age of television? I seem to dislike a lot of shows from the 1980s but for some reason I like watching modern movies and episodes with a 1980s setting.

The 80s version was bad and campy but still enjoyable if you watched it the right way. It didn't take itself seriously at all and that's probably why a lot of people didn't like it (they were expecting something like Star Wars which while campy still took itself seriously). Also the special effects and costumes looked very dated, especially compared to Star Wars, but it was actually on purpose as an homage to the old serials, a lot of people who saw it never knew that. And it had Max Von Sydow as Ming which is perfect casting, plus some other very good actors had roles in it.

The first time I saw the movie (in the 80's) I hated it for the reasons stated above (I was expecting Star Wars and as a kid I couldn't understand why this didn't look as good). But I've seen the movie a few times since and enjoyed it.

hmm, flash gordon starts right now for my time zone but so is Monk from USA-I guess I'll stick with Monk

totalwar23 said:
yeah, i saw a 1980 episode of Battlestar Galactica and if that was normal for a show, why was the 1980s considered the golden age of television? I seem to dislike a lot of shows from the 1980s but for some reason I like watching modern movies and episodes with a 1980s setting.

Yeah the 1980s Battlestar Galactica was an abomination but the original series was actually not bad (I think so anyways).  I look back on tv shows in the 80s with nostalgia but whenever I watch them I realize that most shows from that era are extremely formulaic and completely unbelievable (there were some that weren't though but they were few and far between).  The writing today on average for tv shows is probably a lot better.

They should have picked up aquaman, the pilot was pretty good.