By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu Ray lets me down again

Yes, it is obviously the fault of the Blu Ray media format itself that the creators put fewer special features on the disc.

What's next? Blaming the makers of your computer because you can't remember how to plug it in?

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Thats one of the things that always puzzled me...why, if blu-ray contains so much space, are there hardly any special features on them?

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it was on a BD-25, not a BD-50.  Universal was being cheap.

You run into the same thing with DVD's when a studio decides to go with a DVD-5 rather than a DVD-9.  Its far from a new phenomenon.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Words Of Wisdom said:
Yes, it is obviously the fault of the Blu Ray media format itself that the creators put fewer special features on the disc.

What's next? Blaming the makers of your computer because you can't remember how to plug it in?

Well if the format keeps pulling shit like this than yes it is a fault of Blu Ray. How can you have 4-8x the space of a DVD and then have less features than the DVD version? It barely looks better and has less special features.......why would anyone want the $10 more expensive Blu version?

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

akuma587 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Thats one of the things that always puzzled me...why, if blu-ray contains so much space, are there hardly any special features on them?

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it was on a BD-25, not a BD-50.  Universal was being cheap.

You run into the same thing with DVD's when a studio decides to go with a DVD-5 rather than a DVD-9.  Its far from a new phenomenon.

The HDDVD version (with all the features) is 25 gigs, I figure the transfer from HDDVD to Blu would be a fairly easy one. To be honest I seldom see any DVDs that are DVD-5s in all my years of watching and bootlegging DVD's. Even the cheap horror flicks that get realeased are on 9's. The only 5s I ever see are old Martial Arts movies.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
akuma587 said:
colonelstubbs said:

The HDDVD version (with all the features) is 25 gigs, I figure the transfer from HDDVD to Blu would be a fairly easy one. To be honest I seldom see any DVDs that are DVD-5s in all my years of watching and bootlegging DVD's. Even the cheap horror flicks that get realeased are on 9's. The only 5s I ever see are old Martial Arts movies.

Really?  I pirate DVD's all the time and I see at least 15-20% of the DVD's out there are DVD-5's.  Its less common than it used to be, but it happened all the time earlier in DVD's life cycle.  Even the Criterion Collection used them early on, and they are considered the cream of the crop in terms of picture quality.

And no, the HD-DVD version was 30 gigs.  It was on a dual layer HD-DVD (as was just about every HD-DVD ever released since 15 gigs is not enough for an HD movie unless you want wicked compression artifacts).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
CDiablo said:
akuma587 said:
colonelstubbs said:

Really?  I pirate DVD's all the time and I see at least 15-20% of the DVD's out there are DVD-5's.  Its less common than it used to be, but it happened all the time earlier in DVD's life cycle.  Even the Criterion Collection used them early on, and they are considered the cream of the crop in terms of picture quality.

And no, the HD-DVD version was 30 gigs.  It was on a dual layer HD-DVD (as was just about every HD-DVD ever released since 15 gigs is not enough for an HD movie unless you want wicked compression artifacts).

Nothing to argue about, and I'll take your word for it cause I really havent bootlegged anything in a long time, but it would be lame if I bought a DVD and it a)looked like crap or b) had no features and was on a 5. Blu sellers relly should be putting some effort into the Blus out there so that the price can be justified.

.....And I forgot about the 30 gig thing, I remember during the  war how people would say Blu is double the size of HD and I guess the idea stuck. Oh well, at least I still have the DVD version.

-Jim Sterling