By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How come the XBOX supported up to 1080i and the PS2 didn't?

colonelstubbs said:
Because the xbox was a technical behemoth?

The correct answer . The xbox was the 1st next generation console , it was so ahead of its time .If only it was more successful we wouldn't have to tolerate the pathetic graphics that ALL the ps2 games had....

Around the Network

Because no one cared. Nor do they today.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Actually 2 PS2 games supported 1080i.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

The xbox was twice as powerful as the ps2.

mM

This thread talks about the the 2 games that were 1080i on the PS2, among other things.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Because the xbox was a technical behemoth?

I have a couple of questions regarding the PS2, XBOX and GCN.

Did any of them have HDMI output, or in other words, what is the point of making a game 720p or 1080i if the console itself cannot output that kind of resolution?

Iirc the only console of that generation to output 480p natively through vga was the Dreamcast. Over 90% of it's games were 480p.

Most of the PS2 games were not 480p, yet like the Dreamcast, most of the XBOX and GCN games did support 480p.

Fyi, here is a site that describes each game for the consoles mentioned;

http://hdgames.net/

Dreamcast-18 years later "It's Still Thinking"

Honeslty...back then the polygon counts were much lower and textures had much less detail that you were better off not seeing Mortal Kombat Armageddon in 720p on xbox.

Off topic...didn't later version of gamecube take away the port which was used for component cables? Also, did gamecube have any 720p titles?

Agree with alot fo the above.

And yeah, its very shocking the the Original Xbox was more powerful then the PS2 yet PS2 had the Best 3rd party support...

That truly and deeply scares me because that could very well mean....for this gen...................OMG HELL NO!!! >_

The day the Xbox came out is the day Sony stopped marketing PS2 as a graphical powerhouse.