By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 dev: PS3 is not hard to develop for

I may be flamed for this but it has to be said anyway. I've never gotten the concept of something being hard to code for vs one being easier. If it means the dev kits are more expensive or cheaper, I'll understand but this seems like its a question of if the coders can successfully make it work or not. If you ask me, perhaps some fault lies with the designers of the console architecture but more fault lies with the actual coders especially considering the fact that others can get the job done with no complaints. Think cod4.

Looks to me that the entertainment industry just gets cut a lot of slack with all these excuses. At my last internship, I was stuck with a computer that uses vms for research while another group doing a similar project got to use windows xp. Could I do a piss poor job and complain that it's because I couldn't learn to use vms or that the maker of the hardware shouldn't have packaged vms with it? No

In the real world, there are no excuses for a bad job so I'm sick of hearing stupid complaints.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
Sloppy and lazy developers find PS3 hard to develop for. Weird.

Same developpers that make you install 3 gigs on your hard drive before you can play the game.

Pristine20 said:
I may be flamed for this but it has to be said anyway. I've never gotten the concept of something being hard to code for vs one being easier. If it means the dev kits are more expensive or cheaper, I'll understand but this seems like its a question of if the coders can successfully make it work or not. If you ask me, perhaps some fault lies with the designers of the console architecture but more fault lies with the actual coders especially considering the fact that others can get the job done with no complaints. Think cod4.

Looks to me that the entertainment industry just gets cut a lot of slack with all these excuses. At my last internship, I was stuck with a computer that uses vms for research while another group doing a similar project got to use windows xp. Could I do a piss poor job and complain that it's because I couldn't learn to use vms or that the maker of the hardware shouldn't have packaged vms with it? No

In the real world, there are no excuses for a bad job so I'm sick of hearing stupid complaints.

It's not about excuses (not always at least). A harder architecture makes development more sluggish, therefore requiring more time and money to accomplish the same results. In the real world of business, this counts a lot.

By the way, it's not only about architecture but also development tools, which Microsoft is an expert on unlike Sony.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise that the PS3 is a hard architecture. The same was true for the PS1 and PS2, but back then there were not as many complaints as those consoles were so successful that any additional development expense was perfectly justified. In the PS3 case, the programming difficulty seems to come mostly from the Cell's asymmetrical architecture with a high number of CPU cores.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

PC devs like Valve despise it. PS3 ports are just cash-ins.

@NJ5

PSX was much easier to develop comparing to both SS and N64 in the same gen,but not PS2.Check before you post.

Around the Network
stevechan said:
@NJ5

PSX was much easier to develop comparing to both SS and N64 in the same gen,but not PS2.Check before you post.

I wasn't really comparing it with the other consoles in the same generation, although your point still stands. The PS1 doesn't exactly look like a streamlined architecture either...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well, if they say it's not hard to develop for, then RE5 better be just as good as the 360 version. No excuses.

The PS3 versions is going to be just as good as 360, I wouldn't expect Capcom to screw PS3 owners over.

well guys he said "it's not too tough" not "its not tough" :)

this is somwhat good news coming from Capcom