By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 dev: PS3 is not hard to develop for

V-r0cK said:
Asmo said:
V-r0cK said:

Agreed. Didnt valve complain with the Orange Box?..tsk tsk weak.

Valve didn't make the PS3 version of the Orange Box, it was an EA internal dev.

Gabe Newell from Valve just said that the PS3 was a waste of time.

Does that mean that Valve was just lazy from the get-go and didnt even bother trying? lol

Yeah, just like Capcom was too lazy to port Okami to the Gamecube, and all those Japanese devs were lazy for not even trying to develop on the original Xbox.

Despite being one of the best developers on the planet, Valve are kinda small and have a limited amount of resources. They had to make a choice if developing for the console that had the lowest sales and highest development costs was worth it, and they decided to rather make their game as good as it could be on the other platforms. The 360 was a natural choice due to its similarities to the PC. That doesn't really sound stupid to me at all.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I just read this over at PSU. Interesting, maybe some devs catch on a little easier, who knows right?

Hopefully.

WiiStation360 said:
Asmo said:
V-r0cK said:

Gabe Newell also complained about the 360 being to hard to develop for when it came out.  He is fine with it now.

It takes a while for developers to become comfortable with a new hardware architecture, especially one as different as the Cell.  Once the learning curve is done, developers are fine with it.

If I remember rightly he disliked the lack of HDD in the 360 as standard and felt it was a serious flaw.  The PS3 though he outright hated in terms of its architecture.  Mind you given the 360 customer base suits Valve games and their Source engine and the PS3 doesn't as well I suspect this also influenced his thoughts in terms of which console was more relevant to him and Valve as a whole.

In some ways I can't blame him, even as a PS3 owner (who plays Valve games on PC just to be clear).  I believe some assume that if Orange Box was better ported it would have sold better, but I'm not too convinced myself.  I believe only a small minority of purchasers even knew the port had some issues here and there anyway.  Most go to a store, browse the shelves, etc. and clearly the average PS3 owner wasn't that interested in the title vs 360 / PC owners.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

That is good news.

Any developer with a lick of sense to them says developing on ps3 isn't that hard. Team Ninja when they worked on Sigma, Infinity Ward, Epic with UTIII, now those working on Capcom's biggest franchise.

Around the Network

He is saying that the PS3 is of course more troublesome, but because of the flexibility of the engine, it's not that much harder for them.

Reasonable said:
WiiStation360 said:
Asmo said:
V-r0cK said:

Gabe Newell also complained about the 360 being to hard to develop for when it came out.  He is fine with it now.

It takes a while for developers to become comfortable with a new hardware architecture, especially one as different as the Cell.  Once the learning curve is done, developers are fine with it.

If I remember rightly he disliked the lack of HDD in the 360 as standard and felt it was a serious flaw.  The PS3 though he outright hated in terms of its architecture.  Mind you given the 360 customer base suits Valve games and their Source engine and the PS3 doesn't as well I suspect this also influenced his thoughts in terms of which console was more relevant to him and Valve as a whole.

In some ways I can't blame him, even as a PS3 owner (who plays Valve games on PC just to be clear).  I believe some assume that if Orange Box was better ported it would have sold better, but I'm not too convinced myself.  I believe only a small minority of purchasers even knew the port had some issues here and there anyway.  Most go to a store, browse the shelves, etc. and clearly the average PS3 owner wasn't that interested in the title vs 360 / PC owners.

I was thinking of when he was complaining about multi-core systems being to hard to develop for.  After he used them, he was fine with them.  It goes to show you that after you get past the learning curve, developers are fine with a new technology.  We are seeing this for the PS3 now.

Chrizum said:
RE5's engine was developed for the next-gen consoles? So there is a Wii version coming!

The Wii isn't a next gen system.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Hmmm... does this mean that dev's that say ps3 is hard were using bad engine's or engines designed too tightly around the 360???

4 ≈ One

makingmusic476 said:
Any developer with a lick of sense to them says developing on ps3 isn't that hard. Team Ninja when they worked on Sigma, Infinity Ward, Epic with UTIII, now those working on Capcom's biggest franchise.

Hmmm.... good examples.

4 ≈ One