By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My first week with the Wii

I was pretty hard on the Wii when it first came out because I was so disappointed with the graphical power of the unit.  I must say, after having it for about a week now, that the hype isn't hype.  The overall experience on the Wii is truly unique because of the controller and the way it draws you into the games you are playing.  Nintendo most certainly has a winner on their hands here.  I actually downloaded an upcoming gaming list and I'd say there are just as many upcoming titles for the Wii that my household wants as I want for my 360.

Here's to hoping the Wii can maintain it's solid lead and move enough consoles through christmas to slap every third party in the head and get a serious game library (of quality titles!) in the development queue.

If this is where gaming is headed, I like it. 

Stuff that someone in my house are looking forward to:

My Sims, Ultimate Lego Star Wars collection, SMG, MP3 (maybe), Madden 08 (already on preorder), Raving Rabbids 2, Animal Crossing Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Dewey's adventure, and so on...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

So what games are you playing that draw you in so much ?

Are you also getting Madden 08 for the 360? I might rent the game for the Wii just to see how it plays. Boyfriend is picking it up for the PS3 and I really am not a big sports game fan to feel a need to own the game myself.

And for shame. You're missing Brawl on that list. The original SMB actually got me back into gaming while I was in college.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Nice list and welcome to the future of gaming.

ceres said:
Are you also getting Madden 08 for the 360? I might rent the game for the Wii just to see how it plays. Boyfriend is picking it up for the PS3 and I really am not a big sports game fan to feel a need to own the game myself.

And for shame. You're missing Brawl on that list. The original SMB actually got me back into gaming while I was in college.

No, I'm not going to get it for the 360.  The Wii's additional game modes that "simplify" gameplay are what drew me to it.  I LOVE high quality graphics, but sports titles have become entirely too complex for the average player that just wants to pick up a controller and play for 30 minutes or so.  My best days of madden were on the Genesis (Madden 93 was the best)  If you are not a big sports fan, you might consider renting it first before you buy it on the PS3.  The 1up review said there are a few framerate hiccups but then that's 1up.  Rent it on the Wii and see what you think.  On field the grahics look solid.  The spectators and stadiums are graphically weak but I don't care about those at all.  I'm looking for an innovative football experience moreso than a graphical treat.

Lol at your brawl comment.  I've only enjoyed one fighter in my lifetime  and that was the Virtua fighter series with my friends.  I don't really enjoy fighters so Brawl doesn't appeal.

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
kn said:

No, I'm not going to get it for the 360.  The Wii's additional game modes that "simplify" gameplay are what drew me to it.  I LOVE high quality graphics, but sports titles have become entirely too complex for the average player that just wants to pick up a controller and play for 30 minutes or so.  My best days of madden were on the Genesis (Madden 93 was the best)  If you are not a big sports fan, you might consider renting it first before you buy it on the PS3.  The 1up review said there are a few framerate hiccups but then that's 1up.  Rent it on the Wii and see what you think.  On field the grahics look solid.  The spectators and stadiums are graphically weak but I don't care about those at all.  I'm looking for an innovative football experience moreso than a graphical treat.

Lol at your brawl comment.  I've only enjoyed one fighter in my lifetime  and that was the Virtua fighter series with my friends.  I don't really enjoy fighters so Brawl doesn't appeal.

He's the one buying the PS3 version so I don't care. I have heard about the 60fps vs 30fps arguments going on with the 360 & PS3 versions. I haven't enjoyed a "traditional" sports game since Tecmo Bowl ;) But I love WiiSports so who knows.
In regard to Brawl. I'm also not a fighting game fan. Soul Calibur & SMB are the only two fighting series I have liked. It's more of a throw back to games like Street Fighter than the current 3d fighting games. But it also makes it campy with all the Nintendo stuff thrown in and Pokeballs, Ness's bat, babombs, and what not. It's really not at all like any of the other fighters out there.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Hus said:
So what games are you playing that draw you in so much ?

Clearly you must not own one or you wouldn't ask that question.  It's just an entirely different experience -- period.  Every game that uses the Wiimote is an interesting adventure in how much different a game can really be when you change the way you interact with the game.  People make fun of Wii sports for being graphically weak.  Yes, graphically it's not impressive by next gen standards, but there is something to be said for swinging the Wiimote like a tennis racket and having to do it correctly to win.  You can swing high for a lob, low for a chop, early or late to push or pull the ball left or right.  Yes, it's a "demo game" but is quite fun and shows un-freaking-believable potential for a full tennis game.  Apply that same thought process to pretty much every sports genre there is and you begin to get the idea of what the future of gaming is going to look like.

Mark my words -- (here's my John Lucas statement) -- The analog thumbsticks found on the PS3 and 360 are dead.  They just don't know it yet.  Both platforms will realize this soon and come out with their own versions of the Wiimote.  Nintendo has set the course for gaming over the next 10 years.

I hate trolls.